ModBook Pro

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ModBook Pro

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default ModBook Pro

Modbook Pro - Laptops - CNET Reviews

The new product is the Modbook Pro, and the company calls it "the world's most powerful and largest-screen tablet computer." Like the original ModBook, the Modbook Pro is based on a rebuilt Apple laptop. In this case, it's the 13-inch MacBook Pro....

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: ModBook Pro

1280x800... Sent to die...

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shogmaster View Post
    1280x800... Sent to die...
    Pretty standard for a TabletPC, so it's hardly a disadvantage. That Cnet (yuck) article seems to be full of the normal ignorance. "But I haz more pixelz than u!!!!").

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tams View Post
    Pretty standard for a TabletPC, so it's hardly a disadvantage. That Cnet (yuck) article seems to be full of the normal ignorance. "But I haz more pixelz than u!!!!").
    By the time this thing is out, you know what else will be out? Something made my Microsoft with 1920x1080 LCD... And that's probably just one of many other W8 tablets that will sport higher res than 1280x800...

Pen Pal - Newbie

Shog, are you talking about the Surface? Because even with Win 8 I'd still consider that a media tablet. I haven't heard anything about it supporting pressure sensitivity, which the Modbook will, which is one of the primary selling points for it. So for people who want to use art apps on an actual OS, media tablets like Surface are pretty useless. Art apps for the Ipad (Procreate, Brushes, SBP) and Android (just SBP i think) can be pretty good, but always with caveats. I don't know of any apps for Windows that are set to work around the limitations of not having sensitivity, and even if they did, they would still be at a disadvantage.

Really, the appeal of a Modbook, or similar tablet, is that it's like having a portable Cintiq.

If Asus or Samsung update their tablets with comparable specs to the Modbook, they'll likely be a cheaper, possibly better alternative.

Now, if they said they were modding the Retina this would be a different discussion. Of course that would probably have a sticker price in the range of $3000.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

They should be modding the retina. the dedicated gpu would help too.
    My Fujitsu T902
    -i7-3520M -16 gigs of RAM -512 gig SSD -extra modular bay battery -Wacom penabled dual digitizer 13.3" 1600x900

Wife's Sony Vaio Duo 13
    -i5 4200U -8 gigs RAM -256 gig SSD -Ntrig Duosense 2 dual digitizer 13.3" 1920x1080

2D animator and illustrator - Sketchbook: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=272229

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by seraphsword View Post
    If Asus or Samsung update their tablets with comparable specs to the Modbook, they'll likely be a cheaper, possibly better alternative.

Now, if they said they were modding the Retina this would be a different discussion. Of course that would probably have a sticker price in the range of $3000.
    lmao....is that a joke...if Asus or Samsung made Slate Tablet PCs with the full voltage core i5s or i7s like the Modbook Pro has....the tablet would be twice as thick, twice as heavy, and generate alot more heat and have worse battery life, and would still be more expensive. And the Modbook Pro as is will probally cost $3000. The last Modbook cost about $2000 if you wanted to buy without supplying your own Macbook. I'm sure for a "Pro" they'll be more then happy to charge more.

And as far as the Retina Display goes...while I would personally love to see that screen thrown on a Wacom Penabled Tablet....unfortunatly the Modbook process requires removing the old screen and using a new one. Even if they were to take the Retina Display 15 inch Macbook Pro and Modbook it, you'd lose the Retina benefit when they swap out the screen.
    Lenovo X-61 Tablet - 1.6 ghz, 4 gb ram
    Gateway C-120X - 1.06 ghz, 2 gb ram (dead)
    Hp TC1100 - 1.1 ghz, 1.5 gb ram
    Ls800 - 1.2 ghz, 2 gb ram
    Eee PC T-91, 1.3 ghz, 2 gb ram
    Ipad 16gb Wi-FI (it does count as a tablet)
    HP Slate 500 - 1.86 ghz, 2 gb ram
    Asus Ep121 - 1.33 ghz, 4gb ram
    Samsung Series 7 Slate - 1.6 ghz, 4 gb of ram

Pen Pal - Newbie

I would wager the new modbook will come in around $2000-2300. Since the models they would be modded from are starting around $1200, and the old version added around $800-1000 to the regular price.

As for the Asus/Samsung thing, they generally use SSD, while Macbook Pros use 5400rpm hdd, which is a plus for the PCs in my book (I don't generally need all the space, for some people this is a bigger concern). i5/i7 is already pretty much assured for the Samsung, and likely the Asus as well, though I'll concede there aren't a lot of details, so they may not be full fledged. I doubt they would be any hotter than a Macbook though. I work with Macs everyday, and even in light use they will nearly burn your fingerprints off. There's a reason they stopped calling them "laptops".

I'm fine with my EP121 for now, it does what I need. But, this fall should be pretty interesting with everything that's coming down the pipeline.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by stoneseeker View Post
    They should be modding the retina. the dedicated gpu would help too.
    I asked the guy about that. He says the 13" Macbooks are hard wired to a 1280x800 limit for internal wiring. You can't swap LCDs. So unless they switch to a 15" form factor, 1280x800 is max they can do.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

There is no way to swap in the higher res MBA screen(though you loose a bit in contrast and color gamut)? I really like it, and almost want to get one, but I wish it was a bit thinner and offered a keyboard dock.

Thread Information