Asus VivoTab Note 8 - Reviews - Page 9

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 276 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast
Like Tree841Likes

Thread: Asus VivoTab Note 8 - Reviews

Scribbler - Standard Member

Default Re: Asus VivoTab Note 8 - Reviews

If anyone is based in the UK, dabs.com have them in stock for 300.

Asus Black Intel Atom Z3740 2GB 32GB SSD 8" Windows 8 (M80TA-DL001H) - dabs.com

They've not updated the listing fully yet but it is the right device. A bit pricey compared to the 250 efforts from Dell, Toshiba, and Lenovo but I suppose that's the Wacom premium.

I'm tempted but 300 for a 32GB device (even if it does have Wacom) is a little rich for my blood right now. Especially with the potential of a Wacom equipped ThinkPad 8 appearing in a few months...

But if you're in the market for it, please pick one up and do a show and tell!

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Be a good time for me to learn about how to read the specs for screens.

ASUS VivoTab Note 8 Packs Stylus, Windows 8.1 and Office for $299
    >>1280 x 800-pixel IPS display

How do you read the specs of a device for

1. Is it viewable in the sun?
    2. Does it have reflections?

I heard if you want outdoor viewability then you want matte screen and otherwise you want glossy so what does it mean when they say IPS? Can you use it outside?

If you're outdoors waiting for that bus and can't see your tablet screen very well, what do you do? Get an umbrella? Put a type of screen/case over your tablet screen?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by corktrek View Post
    If anyone is based in the UK, dabs.com have them in stock for 300.

They've not updated the listing fully yet but it is the right device. A bit pricey compared to the 250 efforts from Dell, Toshiba, and Lenovo but I suppose that's the Wacom premium.

I'm tempted but 300 for a 32GB device (even if it does have Wacom) is a little rich for my blood right now. Especially with the potential of a Wacom equipped ThinkPad 8 appearing in a few months...
    The ThinkPad 8 does not have a Wacom equipped stylus.

Would be helpful if you filled out your location tab so we know you are in the UK without you having to mention it each time

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kneehowguys View Post
    Be a good time for me to learn about how to read the specs for screens.

ASUS VivoTab Note 8 Packs Stylus, Windows 8.1 and Office for $299
    >>1280 x 800-pixel IPS display

How do you read the specs of a device for

1. Is it viewable in the sun?
    2. Does it have reflections?

I heard if you want outdoor viewability then you want matte screen and otherwise you want glossy so what does it mean when they say IPS? Can you use it outside?

If you're outdoors waiting for that bus and can't see your tablet screen very well, what do you do? Get an umbrella? Put a type of screen/case over your tablet screen?
    I'm trying to learn what all these terminologies mean too. Maybe this will help
    What is an IPS Monitor? A Practical Guide to Understanding Display Technology

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Yeah its just if they say matte vs glossy then I know aha okay so matte will have less reflections, right?

so matte = better outdoors right?

Can asus vivotab note8 be used outdoors?

My friends call me Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by nnthemperor View Post
    @ Conrad, I agree with you on every other thing about the device. Just wish Asus would release a Baytrail version. In portrait mode is quite difficult to take notes except in Onenote with a movable writing canvas. The edges are really terrible. But it's not so on my Samsung galaxy note 8 or the MS surface pro and Sony tablets I tried at a hardware store.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
    I concur with this concurrence! Not sure I understand why Wacom screens on Windows devices (laptop tablet/PC or slate tablet like the Vivo N8 in question) are so prone to these problems, but there are no such problems on my Samsung Note 8 (boy, did they ever miss the boat not copyrighting "Note X" to connote "slate tablet with handwriting capability and screen size "X" !). Wonder if the edge problem and flaky calibration in general is endemic to a flaw in Windows. As much as the Galaxy Note 8 is a far cry from the power and versatility of a Windows slate or tablet laptop, it has me spoiled as to inking in general and edge drawing/writing in particular. It's especially "wow!" when I run out of room to finish a word and I can do what I do on paper - make the writing really tiny for the last few characters and write the last one virtually on the right bezel, and it not only comes out just as written, it generally correctly digitizes the entire word scrunched up against the edge.

Still, give me a W8 8-9" tablet with Wacom screen/pen and I will likely find a way to wean off the Galaxy Note 8.
    Last edited by lovelaptops; 01-19-2014 at 12:36 PM.
    Tablets: Samsung Note 8 Wacom, 8"IPS (almost perfect, but Android), Nexus 7 2 2013 (for sale), iPad 3 (sold), Nook HD (dead), Former tablet PCs: HP 2740p/2730p, Fujitsu T730, others..
    HP Spectre 13T-300013: IPS QHD, Haswell i7, 8GB, 256GB, get this: $1,050 w/all discounts!
    Sony VPC-Z13 13" Core i7-640M, nVidia 330M, 8GB, 256GB RAID0, 900p, every port in the universe! 3 lbs. Trully legendary; one to keep til it dies. Also, Sony VPC-Z22, , same specs but i7-2640,FHD,2.5 lbs,worse ergnomics.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovelaptops View Post
    I concur with this concurrence! Not sure I understand why Wacom screens on Windows devices (laptop tablet/PC or slate tablet like the Vivo N8 in question, but there are no such problems on my Samsung Note 8 (buy, did they ever miss the boat not copyrighting "Note X" to connote "slate tablet with handwriting capability and screen size "X" !). Wonder if the edge problem and flaky calibration in general is endemic to a flaw in Windows. As much as the Galaxy Note 8 is a far cry from the power and versatility of a Windows slate or tablet laptop, it has me spoiled as to inking in general and edge drawing/writing in particular. It's especially "wow!" when I run out of room to finish a word and I can do what I do on paper - make the writing really tiny for the last few characters and write the last one virtually on the right bezel, and it not only comes out just as written, it generally digitizes - sometimes, though not always incorrectly due to my illegible tiny characters - the entire word scrunched up against the edge.

Still, give me a W8 8-9" tablet with Wacom screen/pen and I will likely find a way to wean off the Galaxy Note 8.
    How do you anticipate using a asus vivotab differently than your note 8 ?

Scribbler - Standard Member

Quote Originally Posted by PECgem View Post
    The ThinkPad 8 does not have a Wacom equipped stylus.
    Not yet, but there's been a lot of chatter and feedback online to Lenovo about it's omission. While the first version definitely won't, there's still potential for the option to appear later on. And as I'm not buying just yet, I can dream.

Would be helpful if you filled out your location tab so we know you are in the UK without you having to mention it each time
    Eh, does anyone really read those? I'll admit until you mentioned it I've never thought to look beyond someone's screen name when reading their posts. I figure it best to mention it so no one clicks the link, gets all excited, and then realises it's not available in their country.

Wait and Hope.

This site in the UK claims to have 12 units in stock. M80TA-DL001H Asus BLACK - INTEL £306.79 I wonder when they'll start showing up in the US?

Okay Brits, we need some user reviews.
    Last edited by Bronsky; 01-19-2014 at 11:23 AM.
    THINKPAD X301 | ASUS Note 8 | NOKIA 928

My friends call me Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by kneehowguys View Post
    How do you anticipate using a asus vivotab differently than your note 8 ?
    That's a very good question. (I think there are a couple of threads devoted to this question) First off, I would be able to go back to using One Note in the full Windows pen-aware version, not the watered-down typed text only version in Android. In fact, let's leave it there for now. (see below)

Now that I think of it, there have been many, many posts I've read in TPCR threads responding generally to the question: "why do you need an 8" Windows tablet with Wacom when you can get/already have the Sammy Note 8 with Wacom, stylus in-silo, support for virtually all Windows-compatible productivity apps, large selection of Android fun/utility apps and the proven durability and reliability of Samsung mobile products?'' With only a few power-user exceptions, the lone answer has been: "Full Windows One Note!"

Perhaps the better question to ask yourself before making a decision is: what do you mainly use your laptop (or laptop size Tablet PC) for? Within reason, I think most of us want to pack as much desktop/laptop functionality as we can into our 0.75 lb. slate. And for many of us the no-compromise solution is a device that runs most 86 Windows apps at acceptable speeds. The caveat is that just because the app will run on, say, a Dell V8P doesn't mean you can do professional Photoshop or CAD work on this form factor.

Which brings me back to your question and my initial answer. I would like to modify it to: Windows One Note - but I think I will miss a lot of the Android and Samsung S Pen apps I have become so fond of while using the Galaxy Note 8 as my "interim"tablet.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
    Tablets: Samsung Note 8 Wacom, 8"IPS (almost perfect, but Android), Nexus 7 2 2013 (for sale), iPad 3 (sold), Nook HD (dead), Former tablet PCs: HP 2740p/2730p, Fujitsu T730, others..
    HP Spectre 13T-300013: IPS QHD, Haswell i7, 8GB, 256GB, get this: $1,050 w/all discounts!
    Sony VPC-Z13 13" Core i7-640M, nVidia 330M, 8GB, 256GB RAID0, 900p, every port in the universe! 3 lbs. Trully legendary; one to keep til it dies. Also, Sony VPC-Z22, , same specs but i7-2640,FHD,2.5 lbs,worse ergnomics.

Thread Information