How long does your battery last?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Default How long does your battery last?

Hello!
    Just a quick question on the R1F...

My battery only lasts 3 hours, with the settings of the battery set to the lowest consumption... the screen is actually too dim, but still, I can only get 3 hours out of it.

How long does you battery last? I just want to know if it is a problem with my battery (so I can get a new one), or whether it's only meant to last that long. I still cannot purchase the battery for the hot swap bay from my local shop (I live in China).

Furthermore, any tricks for how I can make my battery last longer? I now tug my power cord with me during the day (which is quite heavy).

Thank you very much!
    Hope you've had a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Happy holidays!

weini

Scribbler - Standard Member

Default Re: How long does your battery last?

3 hours of doing what?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

3 hours to watch movies n play games is pretty good. but 3 hours idle, doing nothing, with wifi turned off means ur battery is a lil weak, but not much.

i'd expect a max of 3 1/2 hours on battery whilst running idle or doing small stuff like office programs n surfing the net.

what were u doing when it lasted for 3 hours?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Have you checked the Windows Task Manager to see:-
    a) How many processes are running and
    b) What is the percentage of the CPU Usage.

An over used system will eat battery life immediately.
    The CPU Usage especially if running high is a big killer and an indication something is running your system too much.

As an example, you could be surfing the web and suddenly hit on a web page and think nothing more of it... then all of a sudden you hear your fan cut in and notice the battery meter has dropped significantly.
    On checking WTM you see your CPU Usage is running constant at 100%.
    A quick check soon reveals it's down to that web page and your system is being taken over.
    Closing the web page and doing a spyware run immediately stops the heavy CPU Usage and eradicates the web pages intrusion on your system.

I ALWAYS leave my WTM running permanently.

Well I get about 3 - 3.5 hours with Wireless on and surfing, with a pretty dim screen.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

well, my battery started out great. at half brightness, wifi on, and me doing some school work related stuff I WAS getting a solid 3 hours.

now at half brightness, wifi on, me doing next to nothing AND with the cpu now undervolted I'm only getting 2-2.5 hours. also, my battery wear level is already at an astounding 20% after only 2 months. this is incredibly bad, especially when compared to my asus z70va where after almost a year it has showed less than 5% battery wear.

I'm not sure if everyone's battery is like this, or if mine is just a dud but I'm probably gonna have to talk to asus or my reseller about this because this is pretty unacceptable.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

In battery mode, my display is at full brightness ( I don't like a dim screen ) but only 25% CPU. I'm getting about 2 hours on a charge. That why I need a second battery.

does it say 2 hours on the battery bar in the taskbar, or are you actually timiming it? Cause mine will usually say about 3 hours and i'll manage to pull out 3.5 or so

Quote Originally Posted by Loaf. View Post
    well, my battery started out great. at half brightness, wifi on, and me doing some school work related stuff I WAS getting a solid 3 hours.

now at half brightness, wifi on, me doing next to nothing AND with the cpu now undervolted I'm only getting 2-2.5 hours. also, my battery wear level is already at an astounding 20% after only 2 months. this is incredibly bad, especially when compared to my asus z70va where after almost a year it has showed less than 5% battery wear.

I'm not sure if everyone's battery is like this, or if mine is just a dud but I'm probably gonna have to talk to asus or my reseller about this because this is pretty unacceptable.
    Same problem here ! After only 2 months of use, battery wear is at 50% and wont run Vista in battery Saving mode for more than 1-1.5h!

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Angry Re: How long does your battery last?

I have to agree about the battery problem. I haven't timed a full drain, but I have just performed a partial experiment.

1) I have uninstalled the security / fingerprint related software, and disabled the fingerprint reader to reduce USB power drain. Hopefully I got this right.

2) I booted up with the power cord plugged in.

3) I unplugged and set the mode to "Quiet Office". For me, that means brightness at 73% but I suppose CPU is at 100%. I checked the task manager and my CPU usage is running in the 10-40% range (peaks above 20% are only occasional, generally when switching windows.

4) I've used the computer pretty much continuously for one hour. I have been using Firefox and MS Outlook. Text and pictures, hardly any video and no audio. WiFi is on, bluetooth is off. Deleted about 85 spams. Yes, I know that's not relevant but man spam is getting worse.

- When I started, the power meter showed 100% and claimed I'd have 2:40 minutes.
    - After one hour, the power meter shows 60% and 1:23 minutes.

While I have not verified this with multiple runs, my sense is that this is pretty typical behavior. I also do not know how to check the battery wear level, but if it is going down, this will be a big problem. EDIT: I have installed NHC and it shows my battery wear level at 26% after 2 months of use!

I hope that Milestone or Proportable will check this out and discuss with Asus. It would be great to get some sort of semi-official feedback on this.
    Last edited by jdwilson; 12-31-2006 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Added battery wear level

Thread Information