java VM on eeeNote

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Default java VM on eeeNote

Hello,
    I read in a thread about Asus eee Note that the usb port is both host and device modes capable.
    Now I ask to who has better knowledge of the device and hacked it (question 1) whether it is possible to run on it a java application that (question 2) perform midi data processing, where there is an external midi device connected to its port. Even if hacking is necessary.
    Thanks

Scribbler - Standard Member

Default Re: java VM on eeeNote

a look in to the pxa datasheet and in the kernel and for now you can't use it as host.
    We need to update to a more recent kernel and as i can see probably the 303 lacks of an device chip.
    http://www.marvell.com/products/proc...XA3xx_EMTS.pdf

Pen Pal - Newbie

thanks.
    what about question 1, that is whether running java app is possible?

you can compile it, but the graphic part need to be compatible with qt-framebuffer (eeenote doesn't use X11 but uses qtframebuffer).

So if it's a terminal program (like pdftk) you could port it without only cross compiling. In other cases you need to rewrite the gui part with qt.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for your answers.
    Sorry, I do not understand. I mean: as far as I know, java applications are executed by the JVM or its opensource counterpart but are not compiled.
    So a JVM is to be present in the system and a command like "java -jar myapp.jar" has to be typed into a script or console. So maybe you say that a java class can be executed but the JVM output will be not displayed because
    some not-installed library (X11) is being called by JVM? QT should instead be called, if I understand. But I think that JVM could not execute at all in this scenario. Could it?

You need to change the graphic part to run in qt and compile jvm for the eeenote. I think that it is too much work...

Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,
    i'm actually playing around a little with the EEE Note. I'm Java Programmer so its very interesting for me to have a Java VM on EEE Note.

What I don't understand is: How can I get a compiled version of java jre, that runs on EEE Note. I tried the rpm and binaries from Oracle, but EEE Note only says "Syntax Error, ( expected" when i start it.

you can compile it
    Should I compile the sources of jre or do you mean the java class-sources?

Pen Pal - Newbie

I managed to run a Java 7 SE Embedded JVM on EEE Note.
    If your interested: Oracle offers a compiled version of Java 7 SE Embedded JVM wich you can request here: Java Embedded: Java SE download

All you have to do is: Give your personal information to oracle an receive a link to the download.
    Download the Binaries for ARM 5 Processor and unpack the archive on your pc.
    Copy the jre folder to you EEE Note via SD Card.
    Run jre/bin/java and enjoy!

T_B
    Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Javac View Post
    If your interested: Oracle offers a compiled version of Java 7 SE Embedded JVM wich you can request here: Java Embedded: Java SE download

All you have to do is: Give your personal information to oracle an receive a link to the download.
    Download the Binaries for ARM 5 Processor and unpack the archive on your pc.
    Copy the jre folder to you EEE Note via SD Card.
    Run jre/bin/java and enjoy!
    Interesting, so would something like freemind Main Page - FreeMind be possible to run on the eeenote?

Quote Originally Posted by Javac View Post
    Could you show us in screenshots what is possible to do with JVM and what you can run on this. There are exist some limits for running java application on eeenote? Sorry, I don't know a lot about java but know that it is very cool thing

Thread Information