Simplest Windows application for learning to draw?

+ Reply to Thread
    Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Simplest Windows application for learning to draw?

Hi there,

I'm thinking of trying out my ATIV SPC for drawing purposes, and I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations for a simple program that would allow me to figure out if it's something for me at all. I've got Photoshop (will be installing that in a few minutes), but I have a feeling that's not exactly right, especially for someone like me who can't really draw properly on paper

Free is good, or at least a trial version for testing before purchase... Any recommendations?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: Simplest Windows application for learning to draw?

Photoshop is actually quite good for sketching with a simulated pencil, I find.

Just set the brush to an air brush, the ink to black and the opacity to around 40% and it's very much like working with a real-world pencil. I do nearly all my 'pencils' in Photoshop due to its speed, reliability and the fact you can save without hassles in any standard format.

Paint Tool Sai is also really nice to work in, better than Photoshop, I'd say for direct brush action, though it demands too much memory for my old machine, it's bad at file manipulation and it has limited selection tools. For simple sketching, though, it's great.
    Fantasy/Adventure/Sci-fi Comics: www.iboxpublishing.com

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Thanks, I'll give that brush a try and Google Paint Tool Sai

Pen Pro - Senior Member

also, I LOVE the pencil tool in Sketchbook Pro. If I had to have only 1 program for JUST pencil sketching, it would be Sketchbook Pro, otherwise it is rather limited, but has some nice features like mirror mode too.
    My Fujitsu T902
    -i7-3520M -16 gigs of RAM -512 gig SSD -extra modular bay battery -Wacom penabled dual digitizer 13.3" 1600x900

Wife's Sony Vaio Duo 13
    -i5 4200U -8 gigs RAM -256 gig SSD -Ntrig Duosense 2 dual digitizer 13.3" 1920x1080

2D animator and illustrator - Sketchbook: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=272229

I would definitely try photoshop first, because I tried learning after using other apps and it was hard to make the transition, but I heard if you start with photoshop its easy to learn others.
    Best Windows - PC Tablets 2012 - 2013

Best Educational Tablets for Kids 2012 - 2013

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bemymonkey View Post
    Hi there,

I'm thinking of trying out my ATIV SPC for drawing purposes, and I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations for a simple program that would allow me to figure out if it's something for me at all. I've got Photoshop (will be installing that in a few minutes), but I have a feeling that's not exactly right, especially for someone like me who can't really draw properly on paper

Free is good, or at least a trial version for testing before purchase... Any recommendations?
    Could always try Windows Journal - it's free and built right into Windows 7 and 8. You have to set up in options to turn off the lined paper and set pressure sensitivity to on. After that - you just draw.

If you have Windows Office - you can use drawing tools within a Word document or if you have a full installation disc you could try Microsoft One Note. One Note is better than Journal because the file size limit is bigger if you're running an older tablet machine.

Thread Information