Photoshop toolbar - Page 5

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 86 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Photoshop toolbar

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: Photoshop toolbar

Steve,

Alright, gotta give my students a bit of attention... I'll try to set up StrokeIt the way you said it and play around later tonight. Thanks for the info.

If you want you can switch the Photoshop toolbar to be somehwat usable in ArtRage. It will keep the hotkeys that Photoshop sends so won't be completely usable but it may give you an idea of how it works when you toggle between different programs. To do this, open the ahk file in a text editor, and using the Replace All command, change Photoshop for Art Rage 3. Save the file, relaunch the ahk file. Also, see post #44 below.
    Last edited by lblb; 02-07-2012 at 02:23 PM.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

thatcomicsguy,

The way the tool resize button and the color picker are set is just that they hold down a modifier for a certain time (here 1000 ms). I can only test them in Art Rage and they work fine. Here are the codes:

cl2:
    ifWinExist, ahk_class ArtRage 3
    WinActivate, ahk_class ArtRage 3
    send {shift down}
    sleep 1000
    send {shift up}
    return

cl3:
    ifWinExist, ahk_class ArtRage 3
    WinActivate, ahk_class ArtRage 3
    send {ctrl down}{alt down}
    sleep 1000
    send {ctrl up}{alt up}
    return

This seems to only work for these two functions for now but what's cool is that the modifiers are indeed released after 1 s but you you can still use the function as long as your pen is on the canvas.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Just tried out the V2 of the Sai bar. What bugs did you fix, btw? I tried it out but I didn't see anything different. Is it more in the code?

Also, I noticed that the Hand tool can be dis-engaged-- after you've finished using it, if you give it a double-tap it seems to release it for some reason. Is this the way its designed? Anyways, if you do that, then tap the screen, it'll release the Hand tool and bring it back to Sai and the tool you were using before. Perfect? No, but definitely more usable.
    The bugs were just annoying things; when you minimized the bar and then used the Sai/Ps icon tab to switch art programs, it did weird things to the button layout, making some of the buttons and functions vanish between programs. Also, the Transform tool was supposed to toggle blue, and it wasn't doing this properly. That stuff is fixed now.

The hand is designed to disengage by pressing any other tool, same as in PS, where I'm most comfy. lblb originally had it toggle, and that's easy enough to put back if you wanted.

I found that the selection tool was killer in Sai; when you tap the screen to release the selection, it'll do that thing where it selects a single pixel and locks up everything. PS has incorporated some kind of AI which accounts for this, so it doesn't happen that often, but I found it was like performing brain surgery to disengage the selection tool in Sai, so I added a "Ctrl D" to the off-toggle of the transform tool. Not perfect, but that's really the only way I use selection in slate mode.

The code is very customizable. Open it up in an editor (preferably one which offers line numbers, like the open source Notepad++), and you'll quickly see how it all works. Anything after the word, "Send" in the code is a character call which mimics a keyboard stroke. I've labeled each routine block with either PS or SAI, so people can work out which button they're dealing with.

You could easily enough swap out the PS stuff and put in ArtRage commands if you felt daring. It's actually pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

Fantasy/Adventure/Sci-fi Comics: www.iboxpublishing.com

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Okay

I've gone back and put comments in the .ahk file and re-posted it as the same version number. That should help people find their way through the script if they feel like tinkering with it.

This text editor is free and pretty good to use when programming: Notepad++ Home

Also. . ,

Since PaintTool Sai is highly configurable, I thought I might include a list of the various keystrokes I used with it. If they're different from the ones you use, then you can either change them in Sai, or the Button bar script.

Eraser: e
    Brush: b
    Transform toggle down: t
    Transform toggle up: Enter and Ctrl d (To deselect)
    Lasso: l
    Undo: Ctrl z
    Redo: Ctrl y
    Zoom In: Ctrl =
    Zoom Out: Ctrl -
    Full Screen: Tab
    Hand: space down
    Reset Canvas Rotation: Insert
    Rotation Tool: r
    Brush Smaller: [
    Brush Bigger: ]

Go here to see the various keystrokes and conventions used by AutoHotKey. (For instance, Ctrl is represented by a ^ symbol)

If you wanted to change the program so that it doesn't work with Photoshop, but rather some other software, you need to use AutoHotKey's "Window Spy" program, which comes bundled with AutoHotKey. It will tell you the "ahk_class" name of the program, and you just sub that in wherever you see "ahk_class Photoshop" in the .ahk script for the button bar. Then you tinker and get your key strokes to match up.

Okay.

That's enough for me today. I've got real work I need to get to.

Cheers!
    Last edited by thatcomicsguy; 02-07-2012 at 02:15 PM.
    Fantasy/Adventure/Sci-fi Comics: www.iboxpublishing.com

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Hey Steve,

I've uploaded a version for ArtRage. It doesn't have a cool layout nor all of the cool stuff that thatcomicsguy came up with but I just want to see if the functions work.
    In particular, see if the drop and tool resize still work. I think the rotate should work fine. The zooming seems to be still be a bit problematic. Does the zoom shift hover button work? For me it seems to work half the time but I haven't played enough with it, but maybe there is a timing aspect that needs to come with practice. Can you see if you can get any consistent behavior? Thanks.

Also, I've removed eraser, pen and the likes.

See here:

Steve_B_ArtRage_1_0.zip
    Last edited by lblb; 02-07-2012 at 09:48 PM.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Steve,

I think I figured out how to get the zoom to work, seems to work very nicely. Just like for the rotation tool, hit the button then press and hold right-click to zoom in out. The "difficulty" with the zoom is that after pushing the button, you really need to hit your right-click cleanly otherwise the tool resizer wants to kick in. Try the updated file below. Also, I corrected the select tool to shift s (it was inadvertently set to ctrl s). The transform tool seems to work ok, but is it necessary to add a command to deselect (or something like that) at the end?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by lblb; 02-07-2012 at 11:24 PM.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Alright, one of the last things I really wanted to figure out seems to now work perfectly.

The zoom and rotate buttons in ArtRage were tricky. For these buttons, you have to hold down the right-click button while holding either Shift or Alt. As per Steve's suggestion, I didn't want shift/alt to be timed so I found how to get shift/alt to be toggled up when the right-click is released. That was for version 2 in the previous post.

With that info, I was able to do more with the idea of affecting other commands by detecting if the pen buttons (i.e. right click and left click) are up or down. In version 3 below, the zoom in/out and undo/redo buttons can now be pressed and the command will be repeated until you stop pressing the button. Works great in ArtRage!

Note 1:
    I have set the delay between consecutive clicks to 500 ms but that can easily be changed for each button. Steve, if you like what these buttons can now do, can you test different delays and see which fit better for your needs? You can test different delays (in milliseconds) by changing the value after "sleep" on lines 76, 89, 102 and 116 for undo, redo, zoom in and zoom out, respectively. I haven't really tested different delays but, for example, the zooming in PS looks pretty smooth with a delay of about 70 ms between clicks.

Note 2:
    The undo/redo work very well in ArtRage and presumably they will in any other program. However, even though they work very well in Photoshop, you can't see the changes on the screen in real time, you have to wait until the button is released. You can however follow the changes in real time on the History toolbar.

Note 3:
    Still not a zoom bar! But kind of getting there... kind of.

Note 4:
    Presumably that repeat function could be extended to any other function (pen size? pen hardness? layer opacity?) but you guys know better if these can be of any use.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by lblb; 02-08-2012 at 10:42 AM.

edit: I wrote this up last night, but I see now you have another version (or 2?) out with changes, which I haven't looked at yet.

Ok. Testing continues.

Drop works fine. Color picker comes up and stays afloat as long as your pen is to screen. Lift the pen and it goes away and you're back to painting. Perfect.

Resize works ok, but there's the problem that about 1 second into the resizing process the size "circle" goes away, presumably because the key has stopped being depressed. Yes, you can continue to resize after that, but you don't really know what the results are. My vote would be to extend the length the key is depressed so that you have longer to resize and still see the circle. Perhaps try 2 seconds first? Then maybe 3? Other than that, it's great. I like that it "lets go" of the key and lets you get back directly to drawing.

Save is currently saving my document just fine. Nice to see it back in the header.

Lasso is also saving the document unfortunately. The shortcut for Selection is Shift + S.

Transform does transform things. And when you hit it a second time (or tap the screen after having moved things around) it will do the input for the transformation. Currently though, there's no way to "exit" this though. You have to go back to the menu screen and select a tool. Nothing "reverts" after the transformation. Not sure what you're intent was. I just wanted to let you know how it's working.

Undo and Redo work fine when you tap them.

Zoom In and Zoom Out work fine.

Tab (or Menus versus Full Screen) works fine, though this seems like something you wouldn't need in Artrage, since the Right-click does this automatically.

Hover Zoom works great. Just like it should. And when I let go of the right click the Zoom button is released too. Works really good.

Alt works fine for the Eye Dropper tool. Touch to untoggle.

Shift works fine too. It stayed depressed until you tap it again. A simple, but nice functional detail is that you can resize the painting and then resize the brush to fit the new scale all in one click. Then, tap shift to untoggle it, and away you go. This is a nice funtion. Perhaps its better for Shift to not be timed? I dunno.

Ctrl also works great. As before. For the way the tool needs to function, I like that it works as a toggle and isn't timed.

Hover Rotate works. And I like that it releases after I'm done rotating and release the Right click button.

Reset Rotation also works great.

So, clearly getting things to automatically turn off is much easier when the function is locked to the modifier + Right-Click, correct? Because right now that's working very well on the Drop/Color Picker, Hover Zoom, and Hover Rotate. I'll have to play with it more in Artrage to decide if I prefer Shift to be timed or not.

So, as of now, buttons I would for sure include would be things like-
    Color Picker/ Eyedropper
    Transform/ Lasso, assuming the timing and release elements could be fixed up.
    Undo/ Redo- particularly Redo, which isn't erognomically placed in Artrage, and often only needs to get pressed once or twice anyways.
    Shift/ Ctrl
    Rotate/ Default Angle
    Last edited by Steve B; 02-08-2012 at 08:48 AM.
    Currently own:
    x230t Outdoor-- Win 7 x64, 256 gb ssd, 16 gb ram, 6-cell
    q552 -- Win7 x32, 2 gb ram, outdoor slate for work

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902

Outdoor Viewable Screens- Comparison Thread with Pics

Lasso works now.
    Undo/Redo and Zoom In/Zoom Out repeat if held down! It's rather slow though, so I'll work on the timing.

The rest works as before, though I think eventually a decision would need to get made about whether we were keeping Shift and Zoom Hover and Resize, or whether we were choosing to split Shift into 2 different keys (thus no longer needing Shift).

Still the issue with how to get out of Lasso after finishing the transformation.It doesn't revert total original tool after finishing the Transform function I and the Lasso button wont toggle off if you tap it again to let you get back to the drawing tool you were using. Can either of these things be done?

And the problem with the Resizing circle disappearing too soon is still there. I think this is just a matter of timing the button to "hold" longer, from you description? My bet is you still need about 2 seconds to get the right size.

Not to drop something too crazy on you, but I also had the brain storm last night that it would be very nice to have a set of sort of "Layer" function keys that are readily accessible. Artrage has a number of very useful commands when doing color work with layers, but they're a real pain to get to- you have to bring back the main page, then go into the toolbar menus, then sub menus, etc. for each one. ugh. Very slow. Thus, just the sort of essential functions that would be nice to have as a set of buttons!

My thought (and the new challenge!) was that it would be nice to open the AHK program like normal, but somehow have an entire other panel also appear just below this one (with a space in between). This would help one visually see where all the right buttons are very quickly, and it would be easy to tell where all the Layer Buttons are. What would be even cooler (I think) is if it too had a little control bar that let it be moved (and potentially rolled up) independent of the other panel of buttons. Perhaps the 3 buttons in the Header could be Move/New Layer/Up Arrow, and the buttons below it could be the following--

Select Layer Contents (Ctrl + Alt + A)
    Invert Layer Contents (Ctrl +Shift + I)
    Hide Layer Contents-- ??? I'm going to post about this one on the Artrage forums
    New Layer (Ctrl + L)
    Deselect All (Ctrl + D)
    Select Layer Texture (Shift + Alt + T) --> I just made up this command for this function, so its not a preset command, but it is an option in their Keyboard Shortcuts, and I use this function all the time when doing color work in Artrage

So, that's potentially 6 buttons in a little sub-panel. Assuming you couldn't make it be mobile and roll-up-able with its own little Header, then it would still be nice if it could be visually separated from the other buttons in its own little panel (perhaps 1/4" down?). Barring that, just the addition of the buttons in a little group would be nice.

Anyways, that's just my thought for now. I definitely think this is coming along really nicely. The hold and repeat function on the undo is very helpful. It just needs to be sped up. I'll try and get back to you on that, but I'm working in the field today, so it won't be for a bit.

Re: zoom- I'd also, personally, remove the zoom in and out buttons, as the Hover Zoom already does this much better, and space is at such a premium. Of course, if the Zoom buttons were somehow turned into a zoom bar, then than might be quicker and more useful (plus cool!). On that note though, something that would need to happen for a zoom bar to really be useful is that the increments would need to be much smaller, so you could really have good control. I can post on the Artrage forums about this too. The truth is that the zoom bar is more essential in Paint Tool Sai, as it doesn't have a key command + drag option like Artrage does. That ability makes Zoom very smooth in Artrage comparatively. Still, if a zoombar could be done in either/both programs, I'm sure it would be very easy and intuitive to use.

Just my two cents.

Your hard work is very appreciated.

edit- Ok, I put the message up on the Artrage boards, so we should hear back some time later today. The mods (and other amazingly knowledgeable memebers) are usually very responsive there.
    Last edited by Steve B; 02-08-2012 at 10:11 AM.
    Currently own:
    x230t Outdoor-- Win 7 x64, 256 gb ssd, 16 gb ram, 6-cell
    q552 -- Win7 x32, 2 gb ram, outdoor slate for work

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902

Outdoor Viewable Screens- Comparison Thread with Pics

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Yeah, I think the ArtRage stuff is coming along. I'm really eager to test this "hold button down-repeat" function and your idea of having a second toolbar. It would be pretty straightforward to just have a button to "roll down" a layers toolbar at the bottom of the first one. I think I can also rather easily find a way to have a second toolbar appear at the press of a button on the first toolbar. We'll see!

I'll also be out most of the day, so will get back later. Thanks for the detailed comments, that's going to be very helpful.
    I can't reproduce your problem with the tool resizer, the circle is always visible (although my EP121 has problems handling this!). Does it work ok if you use the Shift Hover Button instead? If it's not better, can you change RButton for LButton on line 135 and see if the tool resizer behaves better with this new Shift Hover button?
    Last edited by lblb; 02-08-2012 at 02:07 PM.

Thread Information