Photoshop toolbar - Page 4

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 92 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Photoshop toolbar

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: Photoshop toolbar

Heh.

So I made a version of the Tool Bar which toggles between both Photoshop and Paint Tool Sai.

EDIT: Bug Fixes. Updated this file Jan 7,2012 2:26 PM
    PS-SAI-Bar-Version2.zip

I looked into having the tool bar automatically know which art program you happen to be running, but that power is apparently one of the big shortcomings of Autohotkey. There are a few very shoddy hack-arounds, but they just looked like too much trouble and too unreliable to bother with, so I just made it a user-flippable switch instead. Just click the logo in the Top Left corner.

I've included both an executable and the source .ahk

For those who don't have AutoHotKey installed, just unzip and run the "Photoshop-Sai-Bar-1.exe" from within the folder.

Thanks again big-time to lblb for making this possible! There's lots of basic code which he brought to the table and which would have taken me forever to work out on my own. -Not to mention that I'd gotten used to my old and not-half-as-good undo button. This new take on an old problem came out of the blue and injected new life, solving the puzzle very tidily indeed! Thanks!!!!

This has been fun, and now I've got a super-functional tool which I'll be using on my portable tablet a great deal. Sai and Photoshop compliment each other very nicely, and this on-screen button bar makes them both very easy to sketch with on a keyboardless Tablet.
    Last edited by thatcomicsguy; 02-07-2012 at 12:27 PM.
    Fantasy/Adventure/Sci-fi Comics: www.iboxpublishing.com

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Nice! Great work thatcomicsguy!
    I looked at the code and your toolbar toggling solution is very cool. And in terms of customization, the user can change the function and image of each button on each toolbar. It's very elegant and works very smoothly! And it's very cool that toggling the toolbar automatically forces the corresponding program to become the active window. Really nice feature! In regards to work flow, this could actually be better than haviing a toolbar that toggles automatically...

I'll update the first post to redirect readers of this thread to your post. I have the feeling (maybe I'm wrong) that this General section of the forum doesn't get as much traffic as some of the other sections so maybe you'll want to get the info out in some of the other sections (maybe Lenovo? Fujitsu? HP?)

That was fun! Now on to ArtRage for me!
    Last edited by lblb; 02-07-2012 at 03:25 AM.

This is a very nice step in the right direction. I don't have PS but tested it out some in Sai. I thought I'd drop in some thoughts and and ask some questions. Some of my ideas re: functionality come from the fact that I use Sai to do color work, and so would like to have things revert back to whatever tool you were using last, instead of just reverting to the Pen tool.

a) Toggle Button-- Love it. Of course, I don't have PS. Can you just include that with the script thatcomicsguy? Seems simple and functional. I miss the save button though. I don't save as often as I should, and having it there helped me do it regularly. I wonder if it could be integrated somewhere else?

b) Hand/ Panning-- It would be nice if there was a way to toggle off the Hand. I was finding that if I click the hand it activates Panning. But then I'm stuck in hand mode. The only way to get back to a drawing tool is to click the Brush button. But what if I'm using a tool other than the pen? If would be nice, simple in terms of usage, and more flexible if I could just tap the Hand button again to de-activate it and return to whatever drawing tool I had been using before I had to pan. Can that be done?

c) Lasso and Transform-- They worked for me in Sai, but there's a functionality issue that would be cool to iron out. Right now, I hit Lasso and use it, then hit Transform and use it. Tap Transform again and it hits Enter (a great idea!) and deactivates the button in one go. But then I'm left with the Lasso again, and I almost never use the Lasso multiple times in a row. It would be nice if either 1) When I hit the Transform button the second time (to hit Enter) I would revert back to whatever tool I had been using before I used the Lasso, or 2) I could tap the Lasso again after tapping the Transform tool (to hit Enter), and it would de-activate the Lasso when I did that, thus accomplishing the same idea.

d) Brush Resizing- It's really only a matter of opinion, but I had a question for thatcomicsguy. Why do you use the -+ version for Resizing instead of something like the Ctrl + Alt and pen-drag version? That button was one of the things that was working perfectly in the script that iblb was making, and it seemed so much more flexible and responsive than the -+ way. Kinda curious.

e) Tab/ Menus-- Liked the "Tab" button and its icon, to move to and from menus. Nice addition. I've been using a Stroke It gesture with a 2-button Axiotron Pen to do this, but I like the idea that, even if I only had the included 1-button pen, I could still functionally use the AHK setup. So, I hadn't thought of including it, but I like that idea!

f) What does the white square button do?

g) How do you get what I can only assume is the rotation button to work?

h) How does the user change the buttons and what they do according to the program? Iblb mentioned this. Is that if you open the script and use AHK in a text editor? or is there another way?

Beyond all that, the good news is that everything works just fine. I understand that thatcomicsguy might be cool with how things are set up, so its really just a matter of opinion about what might get included/ excluded from here on out. I still would, personally, like things like the Shift button and the Ctrl + Alt (Brush Resizing) button, and some sort of more fluid way to zoom in and out, for instance.

Besides that stuff, I guess the real question in terms of functional usage of the buttons is how one deactivates them to smoothly and easily get back to working with the tool one was drawing with before one decided to Select/ Transform/ Pan, etc. That seemed like the sort of thing all people would benefit from.

I wish Sai had a contextual Color Picker though. It would be nice if that were mapped to a key the way it is in Artrage and Painter 12. It makes working full screen while painting much more functional. Any idea? Perhaps color dabs on a different layer, and use of the eye dropped tool?........??
    Currently own:
    x230t Outdoor-- Win 7 x64, 256 GB SSD , 16 gb ram, 6-cell
    Thinkpad Tablet 2- Win 8.1, 64 GB SSD, 2 GB RAM

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902, q552

Outdoor Viewable Screens- Comparison Thread with Pics

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Hey Steve,

A few things about thatcomicsguy's toolbar:

- it's cool!
    - the more I play with it, the more I like that the toolbar-toggle automatically activates the program
    - by customizition I didn't really mean that it was gonna be easy... you do have to go into the ahk file and edit it. But at least the possibility is there (by comparison, it wouldn't be possible if only the exe file was provided)

I've been playing around with ArtRage and it's pretty cool! A few comments and questions about ArtRage:

- When I have some time on my hands, if you want I could switch PS for ArtRage if thatcomicsguy isn't already working on it.
    - The color picker does work well with the Ctrl+Alt timed toggle
    - The tool resize also works in the same way
    - To me it's really annoying that right-clicks change the view? Is that a desirable feature at all? Seems pretty intrusive on a tablet! Can it be disabled?

I think a few of the things you mention could be done (well, I'm doing it and it works!) if a key (not a button) is used as a release key. Let's say that this release key was the letter r. For example, I've set the pen's top side button (I use an Axiotron) to send r. Now I can use the zoom-drag and rotate-drag functions just fine and just hit the top side button and it quits the zoom/rotate. Is that something that could conceivably be done with your pen setup? Or can you think of something similar? For now I've tried a few things and it seems that the release key could be a simple letter (say the letter r) and then you could send that r if one of your buttons on the pen is set to send r.
    I think it should also work if you have a a StrokeIt gesture set to send r. It does actually work in simple situations but I've had a bit of a difficulty setting StrokeIt correctly for this. Because StrokeIt wants to do something when I press the right-click button on my pen and hover over the canvas (as is necessary for zooming and rotating), ArtRage doesn't want to zoom/rotate. (I don't know if you understand what I mean, I feel my explanation is not very clear...) Have you found a way to set up StrokeIt so that this doesn't happen?
    Last edited by lblb; 02-07-2012 at 12:19 PM.

BTW, has anyone else noticed issues when using the AHK toolbar, if you try to put Sai in true Full Screen Mode (the kind where the Windows Taskbar goes away)?? I'm having issues where the AHK Toolbar is disappearing behind the Sai window. Anyone else?
    Currently own:

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902, q552

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Yeah, it actually does this from time to time in Photoshop also. I'll try to see what this is about but for now I don't really have a clue what's going on... For now the really-not-perfect solution I've come up with is that I pinned the exe toolbar to the Windows taskbar and just relaunch the toolbar.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Just worked out several bugs.

Please use this version:

PS-SAI-Bar-Version2.zip

I also cleaned up the code so that all the labels follow a logical naming scheme; anybody who wants to tinker with it will now have a much easier time seeing how it all works. It could probably use some comments as well.

As for the right-click to start Full Screen mode (and Right-Click and move the pen while hovering to use the Pan tool) in Artrage, I find it invaluable, personally. It's super easy, and always works like a charm, and I work frequently in it. Does it get in the way of using the Right Click for other functions while in Artrage? Yes.

If you want to use Stroke It with Artrage, you need to go into Edit> Preferences in Stroke It and alter what button starts Stroke It commands. You'll also need to use a 2-button pen, and use the upper button for the Stroke It commands. Do that, and you can set Stroke It commands to your hearts content.
    Currently own:

Just tried out the V2 of the Sai bar. What bugs did you fix, btw? I tried it out but I didn't see anything different. Is it more in the code?

Also, I noticed that the Hand tool can be dis-engaged-- after you've finished using it, if you give it a double-tap it seems to release it for some reason. Is this the way its designed? Anyways, if you do that, then tap the screen, it'll release the Hand tool and bring it back to Sai and the tool you were using before. Perfect? No, but definitely more usable.
    Currently own:

Pen Pro - Senior Member

@Steve B:

Yeah. . . I was wondering about that rotation tool in Sai; I'd gone in some time ago and re-configured some of the keyboard shortcuts for the various tools, and I couldn't remember if I'd done the same thing for the rotation tool.

Right now, when I hit 'r' on my keyboard, it activates the rotation tool. The AHK toolbar uses the same trigger, so if you have your copy of Sai set up differently, it won't work.

The way to change that is either to double-click on the tool on Sai's naive tool bar, which allows you to set up the rotation tool, or edit the .ahk file (It's line #332 in Version2) to whatever character you need it to send.

. . . OR. . . heh, the other possibility is that it might be the result of my previously buggy code which has been fixed now. Try Version 2 in my previous post.

The icon with the square is used in conjunction with the rotate canvas tool; it resets the plane of the canvas back to 0 degrees.

I didn't look at what lblb had done with the brush tool slider. I'll go take a look in a bit. Sounds cool.

Thread Information