Photoshop toolbar - Page 18

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 92 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Photoshop toolbar

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: Photoshop toolbar

Okay, back from a day on the road. Sorry for the toolbar with all the missing icons... I posted it on the fly between two epic hide-and-seek games with my nephew!
    But it's great to know that the pan right-click function also works on your system. As I said, there is something quite puzzling about the code and it shouldn't really work! (Funny enough (at least for me): this code doesn't work well with a mouse, and the code that works well with the mouse doesn't work with the pen!)

I didn't have time to work on the toolbar this week-end (other than finding the right-click pan stuff) but I'll get back to it this week. There is so much happening right now with this toolbar, I can't wait to work on it again!

I was able to reproduce one of the bugs you mentioned (i.e. the toolbar and even the Windows taskbar becoming unresponsive) and I think I know where this is coming from. I may be wrong but I think this only happens when you try to right-click on the toolbar... in essence, since the toolbar is set to never become active, when you right-click on the toolbar it gets confused: should it send the command for right-click on the toolbar (which you are clicking on but which is not the active window so it doesn't really see it) or the command for right-click in Sai (which you are not clicking on but which it sees as the active window)? If that is what the problem is, I think it should be solvable. Otherwise, I don't see how this kind of bug could come from the right-click pan function in Sai (although the code is a bit weird, it's really just simulating key presses just like when you use a keyboard) so I'm confident there should be a way to fix it, wherever it's coming from.

I'll carefully look at your previous posts and upload an updated version later this week. Most of the bugs should be solvable, I just have to put some time into it. Many of the cooler suggestions look like they could be doable.. we'll see! Among many, a better exploitation of the different buttons is very intriguing... This is all a lot of fun!

And wow! These drawings look great! I am amazed at the different textures that are possible. When you say you are "building brushes", does that mean you essentially start with a basic drawing tool then edit and save its properties?

Edit:
    1) Could you use the right-click pan function for a little while without ever right-clicking on the ahk toolbar (but use the other functions on the toolbar) and see if you get any of the bugs you previously described. But try 2) below first!
    2) The code below eliminates the occasional delay observed after releasing the right-click pan function. Does it also work for you? (Just copy and paste it over the code that you added yesterday at the end of the code for the ahk toolbar.)

#IfWinActive ahk_class sfl_window_class
    Rbutton::
    MouseGetPos, , , id, control
    WinGetClass, class, ahk_id %id%
    If class=sfl_window_class
    {
    send {space down}
    Loop
    {
    sleep, 10
    getKeyState, State, lbutton, P
    if state = u
    break
    }
    send {space up}
    }
    If class=AutoHotkeyGUI
    Click, right
    return
    Last edited by lblb; 03-19-2012 at 03:28 AM.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I've used the code in the previous post and it seems to behave much better (as long as you don't right-click on the ahk toolbar). There are, however, some strange phantom right-clicks that are sent to the toolbar when you right-click on the Sai canvas but that's probably due to the last three lines of the code that I need to modify.
    Last edited by lblb; 03-19-2012 at 02:42 PM.

I cut and paste that over the old ending, but I'm still having some problems. The issue with the Windows taskbar freezing is fixed, but the AHK toolbar is still occasionally freezing. I frequently am getting a pop-up message that too many hotkeys are being pressed. Like this "71 hotkeys have been received in the last 1092 ms. Do you want to continue? (see #MaxHotkeysPerInterval in the help file)". I think it might have to do with right-clcking while hovering. As in, I was able to hover right-click in the previous version and so tried I on this one-- then this problem occurs. I think I might not be putting the pen to the screen quick enough after I press the right-click button to pan? And yet, you have to right-click before you put the pen to the screen..... ??

Also, a bug in Sai currently- I can't move Sai panels (or use them t all it seems) if they are partially under the AHK toolbar. I have to roll the toolbar up and move it, then move the Sai panel out of the way, then unroll the toolbar in the now free space. Then the Sai panel works.

Mostly, a lot of the current crop of bugs seem to be about the question of dominance between windows again. Hopefully, we can iron this stuff back out again so we can start putzing with these new options more easily.
    Last edited by Steve B; 03-19-2012 at 03:50 PM.
    Currently own:
    x230t Outdoor-- Win 7 x64, 256 GB SSD , 16 gb ram, 6-cell
    Thinkpad Tablet 2- Win 8.1, 64 GB SSD, 2 GB RAM

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902, q552

Outdoor Viewable Screens- Comparison Thread with Pics

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Yeah it seems that most of this is about window priority and it should be solvable.

I hadn't had the "too many hotkeys sent" message until you mentioned it but I just got one. I can take care of that also. In the meantime, when you right-click to pan, make sure you right-click and keep the pen on the screen (i.e. don't lift the pen after right-click).

Pen Pro - Senior Member

As a quick fix to get rid of the "too many hotkeys sent" message, add this at the very top of the code (say on line 18):

#MaxHotkeysPerInterval, 5000

So, regarding building brushes—in a nutshell, yes that’s what I’m doing. I’m making presets, saving them, and giving them a shortcut key so I can later use them in the AHK setup. That’s the short version though. I wrote this up today in response to your question, and got a bit carried away, going into some detail on the process. So I'll take no offense if you don't feel like it reading all of it. Once I got going, I figured I might as well make it thorough, so I can share it as a blog post or on deviantart.

Sai Setup-
    The secret, and the pain, is that you have to find, download, and import (or create on your own) all the textures and brush heads you want to use. And it does it through an archaic and not very user friendly method where you have to build greyscale texture tiles at just a certain size, etc and then when you have them done you have to import them by finding the File Location and put things in folders, etc. etc. There’s no nice user GUI for this sort of “behind the scenes” sort of stuff, the way there is for the other more professional programs. Despite what a pain this part is, the truth is that I wouldn’t use Sai if I couldn’t do this stuff with the textures. Take the them away and it’s one strength is that it’s a really good inking tool. With them, however, you have, IMO, a very powerful digital painting tool.

Brush Heads-
    First, you can build a brush head in Sai in two ways—either a) through an elevation map that is essentially a series of dots that touch the canvas like bristles and lay down color as you move the head around, or b) it gives you a circular head that you then guide over one of the textural tiles. What’s cool about the tile is that you can increase or decrease on the fly the strength of the texture (forcing the brush head to have a textured exterior, or even for the brush head to miss “bumps” in the middle, where no ink is put down—just as in Artrage). You can also change the “hardness” of the outside edge of the brush—essentially making the texture run more along the edge of the brush and less in the middle.

Interior Texture-
    What’s really cool about Sai though is that it doesn’t end there. I can also apply a second “inner” texture to the brush, which I can also dial in or out. At its simplest, if you made the “outer” texture a simple circle, this “inner” texture would simple be some sort of pattern placed on the brush head. Of course, that’s not what you do. What makes it so awesome is that you can combine them. And not only can you combine a paint brush bristle-head elevation map and an inner texture together, but you can also combine an outer texture and an inner texture together (instead of using an elevation map), giving some great textural results.

Layer-Wide Ambient Textures-
    Thirdly, you can then come back and, if you want, per layer you can lay down a different ambient texture that affects only that layer. Or, if you want something more general, you can combine your layers in a folder, and apply the “Canvas Texture” to all the layers in that folder—but only the layers in that folder. Want to change the ambient Canvas Texture of a layer on the fly? No problem. You can shift between textures and it’ll change the overlay instantly. Want to scale the texture up or increase the strength of the texture? No problem as well. You can do so in real time. This is an amazingly useful and quickly alterable tool, and is really good at applying that kind of ambient texture that makes a natural media picture really sing.

Wrap-Up-
    So, in the end, I can customize the brush head to allow me to have a variety of bristle-head paint brushes or to have a round head that goes over a texture tile that I can change the strength of. I can then overlay that head onto another inner texture, which I can also change the strength of. These two combined lay down the paint. I can then over lay that combo over the layer texture, which allows a kind of simple ambient texture in the background.

And, besides that, Sai is cheap (like Artrage), stable (like Artrage and PS), customizable (like PS and Corel Painter), very powerful texturally (like Corel Painter), and fast fast fast with big brushes without needing a super powerful computer to be so (unlike any of the other three options). That’s a great combo.

It's never been the the actual application of paint that's been my issue with Sai. That part I love. It's always been some of the quirks with the way the program was written-- and thus why I think what we're working on here is so cool.

And, frankly, I'm just that kind of nerd, that I think building efficient user interfaces is kind of fun and thought provoking. I figure the kind of nerd I am seems like a good fit with the kind of nerd you are!!! LOL!

edit-
    Oh, and I checked out adding the one line of text you gave. That definitely helps. I'm no longer getting Sai or Windows to freeze, so that's good news. It's odd though, in some ways, back on the first try, the Panning worked better.... when it didn't break the program. !! Back then, you could pan with the pen touching the screen or without the pen touching the screen. That wasn't an issue (of course, it had other issues).

Now, I intermittently can't get the hand to drag and instead make a mark, and I think it might have something to having to put the pen to the screen? It happens maybe 1 out of every 6 or 7 times for me. I feel like it has something to with delay between pressing right-click,putting pen to screen, and dragging? If I right-click, put pen to screen, and then wait for a second, and then drag, I get a better experience, though not full proof.
    Last edited by Steve B; 03-19-2012 at 11:52 PM.
    Currently own:

Owned: Motion le1600 VA, le1700/ VA/ UVA, and j3400, Lenovo X200t Superbright, x200t/ x201t Superbright Outdoor, Fujitsu t5010, t902, q552

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Oh wow, that's a really cool post! Man, thanks for taking the time to write all of this, it's really helpful for me to understand how this program works. I understand better now why you say that Sai is great for brushes and textures. It seems like the customization may not be very straightforward but that it may well be worth the effort when you are looking for a specific effect.

And it's really good that you note that some aspects of the first drag-pan code seemed to behave better. I'll play around with it tonight (and I've also addressed quite a few of the comments in the previous posts) and try to upload something soon.

Also, re: having more than 2 variants per tool in the AHK tool panel-- now that I'm developing more, I can see that I might end up with 3-4 variants per tool, so I'm all go for the Fly Out with right-click idea you had.

The way I would see it working is like this-- click a tool button and it highlights that tool. Right-click that tool button (either after having it clicked it first, or just directly right-clicking it from another tool), and out pops a fly out menu to the left hand side with all the variants in it for that tool (perhaps in a straight line to left, with numerical order starting on the left and going to the right). Click what you want in the fly out menu, and the tool changes to that variant and the fly out menu closes down automatically, also changing the icon in the toolbar to represent the tool you just chose, so you can get directly to drawing

Also, one would need to figure what one could do with the "left over" duplicate that's already in the normal toolbar icon window, while the fly out menu is open. My thought? Press it again like normal (no right-click needed), and it lets you pick that tool that way as well. This would probably be helpful if you accidentally opened the fly out menu, and just wanted to rapidly close it.
    Currently own:

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Yeah, that seems like it could be the best way to proceed with more than two tools per button (otherwise you're stuck with having to cycle through to get to the desired tool). What you suggest seems doable, I'll see what I can do.

Alternatively, with the idea of reducing the number of clicks, I was also thinking that we could add button "switches" on the side of the button. For example, have three buttons numbered 1-2-3 on the side of the pen button to switch between 3 pens. I've made preliminary tests and having three 17x17 pixels button on the side of a 50x50pixel button is very usable with the pen. We could put switches on either side of the button. We could potentially also merge three switches to the main button (i.e. have the main button be 33 pixels wide instead of 50) to save screen real estate.

What do you think?

Something else I was looking at, and it seems it could be doable: have double-click actions for each button... haven't implemented it but it looks like it's something that can be done... maybe that can give you ideas...

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Below is v. 2.3

AR_PS_SAI_SP_FF_v_2_3.zip

Major changes:
    - Usable toolbars: Art Rage, Sai, Firefox
    - Pictures for buttons are now BMP instead of TIF (takes much less space and speeds up the toolbar)
    - Rollup/down of toolbars shouldn’t activate the corresponding program anymore
    - The minimize routines should now work (hopefully). The toolbar can be minimized/maximized by:
    F8
    Item selection in main menu
    Right-click on rollup/down buttons
    Left-click on tray icon
    Item selection in right-click tray icon menu
    - Now that the minimize routines work, the right-click tray icon menu is pretty useful if you want a to maximize a toolbar different from the one you minimized.
    - Note: The basic minimize/maximize functions should work. I have yet to adjust it for the tools and layers subpanels. So if the subtoolbars in Sai or Art Rage are pulled out and the toolbar is minimized, the subpanels will be hidden on maximize. Will work on this soon.

Firefox toolbar:
    - Does it stay on top better?
    - Right-clicks on top row should all work
    - TIP and Mobility center are now toggles
    - Mute is toggle but I have yet to bind it to the system volume so the icon doesn’t yet represent the mute state

Sai toolbar:
    - Straight line is compatible with tool resize and flip horizontal
    - Close buttons on the individual popped up panels now “talk” with the toggle buttons on the toolbars (so no double-taps on the buttons should not be necessary anymore)
    - Note: This is the only thing I had time to modify on the X close buttons. I plan to work soon on the many other bugs/improvements for these X buttons that you noted earlier.
    - The Hand button on the toolbar is now a toggle. (But maybe we’ll be able to get rid of this button soon when the right-click pan function works perfectly)
    - I’ve changed the code for the right-click pan function. I think the stuff about priority of windows should now be eliminated. This means, among others, that nothing should get frozen anymore, that you should be able to play with the Sai panels even if they are under the toolbar, and that you should be able to right-click on the toolbar without any problems. If the windows priority problems are indeed eliminated (hopefully!), then it mainly remains to see how efficient the launching of the pan is, if it ever gets stuck, etc. There is plenty of things to try on this so I'm confident we'll eventually get it to work as needed.
    - See the Sai tool subpanel: I’ve tried to explore a few ways to switch between tools. The top two buttons both have three tool switches (maybe to access the three pens you use the most) and a right-click menu to access a total of six tools.
    Note 1: If you find that tool switches like this could be useful (it’s quick! they’re a little small but I haven’t had any problems selecting them with the pen), I’ve thought of maybe two ways to include them: to save pixels, they could be embedded in the button as shown for the top button or, alternatively, they could just be put on the side of the button like for the second button. Maybe you’ll find that they are too small, or maybe this can inspire you for a better way to do this, or maybe you’ll find that a right-click menu is sufficient... let’s see!
    Note 2: I’ve read your previous post about the right-click menus (and their layout) and it all makes a lot of sense! However, I haven’t had time to implement them that way so I just included simple dropdown menus on the top two tools in Sai.
    Note 3: This is mostly just to demonstrate the idea. Since I didn’t know what shortcuts you would use, I set the following shortcuts for the pens and pencils (and obviously they can all be set to different shortcuts):
    pencils 1 and 4: n
    pencils 2 and 5: o
    pencils 3 and 6: m
    pens 1 and 4: p
    pens 2 and 5: q
    pens 3 and 6: r

To do:
    - Plenty! Right now I am just going down the list of ideas/bugs that you highlighted in previous posts. Many off the things that you mentioned haven’t been addressed yet, but I’m keeping a tight list so they should be taken care of at some time in the future.
    - Note that the FOCUS button in the main menu doesn’t work yet.
    Last edited by lblb; 03-21-2012 at 10:33 AM.

Thread Information