Are the Old Apple iPads Really Obsolete? Discussion

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    TabletPCReview.com Contributor

Default Are the Old Apple iPads Really Obsolete? Discussion

The masses love the third-generation iPad, which was officially released on March 16 in the US, as evident by the fact Apple sold more than 3 million units within the first 72 hours.

Name:  15879.jpg
Views: 1112
Size:  14.7 KB

Reviews were glowing, but on top of the much-publicized Wi-Fi and temperature issues, the tablet has original iPad and iPad 2 owners wondering if Apple's rabid release schedule is a planned obsolescence scheme that may ultimately render earlier generation devices useless devices that cost at least $499 just one or two years ago. But is the release of the new iPad a cunning plan orchestrated by Apple to compel users of a soon-to-be-outdated technology to double their money down for the latest and greatest offering? Or are the criticisms simply a case of sour grapes from iPad owners who should have known that a leaner, meaner technology would be here sooner rather than later?

Read the full content of this Article: Are the Old Apple iPads Really Obsolete?

Related Articles:

New Apple iPad (3rd Generation) Review: The Best Gets Better

What are the Best iPad Tax Apps?

Only 6 Percent of iPad Sessions Come from 3G or 4G Networks

TabletPCReview Tests Wi-Fi Strength Of The New iPad

Apple Sells 3 Million New iPads
    Last edited by CLeonard; 04-26-2012 at 03:51 PM.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: Are the Old Apple iPads Really Obsolete? Discussion

"if Apple’s rabid release schedule is a planned obsolescence scheme that may ultimately render earlier generation devices useless"

Wondering? It's how apple has done things for a very, very long time. If it's not via hardware changes it's via software updates that slow the older device. Typical stuff and it seems to work for them and consumers lap it up. Sour grapes? Probably but people keep on buying. (I used to work for Dixons so I understand how silly the general public can be when faced with something shiny)
    Owned: TC1100, Tosh M400/M750, HP TC4200/TC4400, Fujitsu Tab, Latitude XT/XT2, Acer 1820ptz, Archos9, SamsungQ1u, Sony VGN-UX1XN, Viewsonic 10, Asus R2h, HP 2740p, HP TM2-1050ea, Asus EP121, HP TM2-2050ea, 2xAcer W500, 3xSamsung 7, Dell Lat ST, Lenovo X220, 2xHP 2760p, HP Slate 2, CL900, 2xAtiv 500t, Surface RT+Pro, Dell Lat10, Surface Pro 2, Acer W3, HP Split 13 x2, Sams Ativ tab 3, Lenovo Yoga 11 (Orange!), MS SPro 1 again and now... Surface Pro 2 512GB. I like tablets!

Editor, TabletPCReview

I'd say a first-generation iPad is still good for the basics --email, web-browsing, etc. -- but it's true that can't handle the latest, high-end games. But the same is true of many two-year-old notebooks, especially ones in the same $500 price-range as the iPad.
    -
    Follow me on Twitter at EdFromTPCR or on Google+. This site has a Twitterfeed too, at TabletPCReview.

TechnologyGuide Editor

There is no right time to ever buy a mobile product thanks to the rapid release schedule, but it's a bitter pill to swallow for Apple iPad owners. I accept it with my smartphone because of carrier subsidies -- but Apple does not play that game with the iPad.

I don't know what the answer is, but I think any reasonable person agrees that a product that costs at least $500 should have more functionality and be more relevant than the original Apple iPad in its current state. It's not like an older laptop, because I can easily track down older versions of high-end programs that will run on it. There is no way to get older apps that I know of.

Perhaps we can say the first-generation iPads issues are a price early adopters pay -- but Apple sold so many of them, can we really call all the original iPad owners early adopters?

Site Admin

Doesn't "obsolete" imply that it isn't functional? Or has no use at all? I can't see how that's the case. We have an original iPad and still use it every single day, for hours at a time. It still displays websites, still plays Netflix and Hulu, still plays games, the apps we've always used still work and we're always adding more apps.

I know there are apps/games that we couldn't run with this first gen iPad; just like there are certain things my current desktop, smartphone, printer, car radio, refrigerator, oven, etc can't do that newer models can. I don't see that as a flaw with the products, it's just the way it is. Technologies change and improve and if you want to have the latest features you are free to purchase the latest versions of the products. If you don't, your older products will still work they just won't be as capable as the newer ones.

Apple is simply following the Detroit model of product marketing: release a new version of the product each year with enough differentiation to make the previous release look outdated. It's just marketing. It doesn't mean that what came before it is no longer functional.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bdeloach View Post
    -- I know there are apps/games that we couldn't run with this first gen iPad; just like there are certain things my current desktop, smartphone, printer, car radio, refrigerator, oven, etc can't do that newer models can. I don't see that as a flaw with the products, it's just the way it is. Technologies change and improve and --
    As you say, just the same in any technology. You could for example buy a top of the range Windows gaming machine and find in a couple of years that it's struggling with the latest software.

The other side of the coin is to just keep waiting for the next big thing, meaning you never buy anything in the meantime.

TechnologyGuide Editor

... but apps so vital to the iPad experience, without them, you essentially have an expensive semi-portable and now sluggish web viewer and email device.

For all the complaining over slow ICS adoption, this problem is not as pronounced with Android smartphones. Any phone running Gingerbread, some of which are getting up there in age (the original Sprint EVO 4G will be 2 years old in June) can run most of the apps in Google Play (yes, there are some ICS exclusives), and it's not nearly as crippled as the original iPad in that regard. In addition, any user still with an EVO 4G who bought it at launch can upgrade to a more powerful device soon, if not now, to a high-end device for $200 or so with a new contract.

The car comparison doesn't work for me, because a 20-year-old car can get you places just as well as a new model fresh off the line. The older car won't have the fun features, but at its core, both the new and the old deliver on the core promise of transportation.

TechnologyGuide Editor

Just to pile on -- the notebook comparison doesn't work for me either. If I have an older machine, I may not be able to run Adobe CS 6, but I can easily track down a copy of CS 4 and basically accomplish the same tasks.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Apple plans on obsolescence. Apple has master the ability to hang a pretty picture in front of users, while gouging their pockets. Just the very basic concepts of the memory in the iPads is a great example. $200 for an additional 48GB of memory (that I can buy for <$48)! $130 for a wireless modem that should be 100% subsidized!
    Apple has created a marketing machine that highly optimizes revenue. They do indeed have a few good ideas, but they are actually few and far between.
    Now the problem is that Apple and the cellphone providers (thou who rip you off better than anyone) are now in bed with each other, bolstering the position of each other. Cellular providers and their desire to sell phones (which really shouldn’t be what they are doing, they should only sell service) have created an infrastructure where device prices are kept artificially high and limited lifespan is advantageous. There is no incentive for competition to reduce the price of the devices, just add a bell or a whistle every year.

Compare this with the good ole PC which still runs quite well after 5 years or much longer! XP is just starting to phase out, 10 years after being introduced.

Pen Pal - Newbie

The most obvious failure of the yearly release is...each keynote or release press release, the "claim" that the ultimate level was reached and the best product was released but low and behold...cut and paste is added or a camera or multitasking, etc. Really?!

If such GREAT minds were truly thinking about a product, make it RIGHT, make it AWESOME the first time. Maybe a 2.0 revision now and then.
    But an "ultimate" iWhatever each year is HARMFUL to the planet with ALL that e-waste. The reality that it wasn't truly the best since critical features were omitted on purpose to force sales the VERY next year!

You aren't making a "MAGIC" device or the most mature product. Apple is the WORST company when it comes to creating throwaway tech AND it's expensive to boot.

Yes they do have an eye for design, but solely driven to populate the planet with redundant devices with ZERO upgrade path.

That is reprehensible.

Thread Information