Which iPad 3? 16 vs 32 vs 64 GB: Usage Scenarios, Experiences & Apps w main PC/Mac

+ Reply to Thread
    Scribbler - Standard Member

Default Which iPad 3? 16 vs 32 vs 64 GB: Usage Scenarios, Experiences & Apps w main PC/Mac

Which iPad 3? 16 vs 32 vs 64 GB: Usage Scenarios, Experiences & Apps w main PC/Mac (especially a Thinkpad - X6x, T6x, T4xx, X2xx)

I believe a lot of people here have used the iPad 1, 2 and various versions of 16 vs 32 vs 64 GB scenario.

STORAGE SIZE:
    - Some people here may have used only one of them
    - Some may have started with one (16) and gone up to (32)
    - Some may have had WiFi & later gone with 3G .. or others who got the 3G and realized they use WiFi more (with/ without MiFi)

USAGE SCENARIOS/ AREAS & EXPERIENCES with Other Devices:
    - Some may be using it exclusively as their primary computing device - From Browsing to Creating Content (Docs, PPTs, Excel, Notes, Office, Imaging, Specific Apps etc etc)
    - Some may be using it in tandem with a Desktop and/or Laptop that runs Windows or Mac or L*inux
    - Some may have more devices in their usage ecosystem - SmartPhone (iPhone/ Android/ BB) + Kindle/E-ink/ E-book Reader + iPad + Netbook/ Laptop/ Tablet PC + Workstation/ Desktop etc + (maybe a central Home Server/ Media Server .. e.g.)

- Some may use it more for casual stuff while some use it more for official work, or some little bit of games.. some more.. some as a Productivity App/To do/ vs.. Some as a semi-book / magazine / occasional reader.. Some may use it quite a bit for MEDIA consumption (Music/ Video/ Movies.. TV Series..) when at home.. or when traveling?

- some may be using it as a transition device for when in travel / transit or when relaxing on bed/ couch or.. just REVIEWING etc.. while their primary work / when on desk / office/ creating/editing the content/ data is another machine.. that runs Windows or Mac or L*inux

- What kind of usage scenarios have you used for certain apps on iPad vs Main machine

So based on the above examples.. do share your PAST & PRESENT experiences with the iPad in and around your Tech/ Computing eco system.. and do share your RECOMMENDATION.. on which direction you are going (thereby helping people with SCENARIO SIMILAR TO YOURS.. to choose the right one.. 16 vs 32 vs 64.. 4G/ WiFi)

If there is such a similar thread or location where SEVERAL PEOPLE and SEVERAL EXAMPLES of such COMPARATIVE and VARYING .. USAGE SCENARIOS & PEOPLE EXPERIENCES have been outlined please do let me know.

Thanks.

PS: In my experience, I have temporarily used iPad 1 belonging to 2/3 friends of mine for some casual short web surfing and usage. Some casual game experience.
    But, given my AFFINITY for High Screen Resolution Devices.. on my Laptops, Tablet PCs and 30" WQXGA (2560 x 1600), I chose to wait for the HIGH RES iPad..
    I did not have an impending need for it.. but now it might become a great MIDDLE GROUND luxury and/ or take on some of Laptop/ Tablet PC functionalities (simpler stuff.. maybe more complex)..

ALSO: How would this change with people can add or who already have this external HDD hack to Jailbroken iPad

1TB HDD on iPad2 - step by step guide - Camera Connection Kit

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: Which iPad 3? 16 vs 32 vs 64 GB: Usage Scenarios, Experiences & Apps w main PC/Mac

Not sure what you are trying to get at here; but the ipad (and the other 'entertainment tablets') are really 'toys' first, and anything else last. They are built with large colorful toy shaped icons and menus and such, they do not run full software but instead a very limited version at best, the hardware they are built on is very very low end (compared to a 'Tablet PC'), and they are built around the premise of easy/ casual use... it is really nothing more than a upsized smart phone, which is itself a dumbed down palm pilot of sorts (which was itself a micro Tablet PC in many ways)

As to the 3g/ 4g vs wi-fi, people only get the 3g/ 4g versions because they want the stupid title of 'I haves dis, you don'tz' [bragging rights] and most people I know don't even use it -those that do use it so sparingly I cannot imagine how they would justify monthly carrier fees and all... truthfully most anybody only ever needs Wi-Fi (as far as these entertainment tablets are concerned), but if they want to waste their money I say have at it!

For storage: 'Official' work requires the least amount of storage (well, some apps would be somewhat large and bloated, but that's beside the point) a text document will be a few hundred KB to twenty something MB in size, as would most all files, you can store thousands of them on a small drive easily... It is in fact in the games, movies, and music that nearly all the space is taken up on; often a movie will be 300MB - 1 or 2 GB in size, an album will be about 300MB (it is is of decent audio quality), and the games depend on the type and how sloppily it was made... so it comes down to how much media you want to store on the device itself, most people buy the higher storage sized ones for the same reason they buy the 3g/ 4g [the bragging rights ] and most hardly use more than 2-3GB of user storage space; though there are people that actually have the media to fill up even the largest option many times over, and in their case they have to prioritize internal storage space with how much they will spend [boils down to how often they will be transferring new media onto, and old media off of the device] typically the 16GB one is more than enough for most, the 32GB is a middle of the road size that is very usable for those that have plenty of media without costing too much, and the 64GB is really for those with a ton of media they simply must have access to (or they have too much money to burn with the itch to brag)

I have used friend's ipads in the past (either when hanging out with them and being bored, or when trying to fix what they screwed up/ make it run fine again) and I had a HP Touchpad for a few weeks before selling it. I can tell you that while thin, light and with good battery life; those entertainment tablets are severely limited in doing all but the basics (and even then they are severely limited and clunky) I do not see their use even as a secondary device, as a Tablet PC from 2004 that cost me $150 and came with a dock, keyboard dock [M1400] can do way more than any entertainment tablet (except be as thin/ light/ long running, and in the M1400's case, be pen only)... things like having a real hardware and OS (with access to full programs, ability to do whatever I need or want to do, and especially a solid file manager), no 'work-arounds' to get something simple to work, multi-tasking multi-tasking multi-tasking (did I mention multi-tasking and how you can do it?), and not having to pay .99c-$7.99 just to get a image viewer or PDF reader, or whatever that can zoom in, or pan around and actually function somewhat close to fully...

The only real thing the new ipad is going to offer is a higher density screen, but don't expect the other aspects of the screen to remain exactly the same, brightness, usability in brighter environments, contrast, colors, sharpness of pixels, response time, ghosting, susceptibility to heat/ cold, and other aspects of a screen are liable to change as a result of increasing pixel density... besides, if you cannot do anything in the programs, or in the way you need to do them, then what does a higher density screen bring you? Nothing at all besides being able to more crisply see you can't do those things.

So, pretty much I am calling these devices out as the useless mind numbing wastes of time and money ($$$) that they are. I say so what if it has a higher resolution screen, if it cannot do what you will be needing it to do then why get it, and if it does everything you need it to do and more then why aren't you doing more on your device (expand your boundaries, DON'T live happily within the walls, break them down and try some new things that will further you and your intellect rather than drowning out the monotony of every day life)

If you or anyone else finds a part of this offensive, please realize it is simply my opinion, and its not directed at you (unless you are Apple or one of the other idiot manufacturers that make the 'entertainment tablets' that work towards ruining things and people either financially, socially, or even in regards to computer use)
    Current: HP 2730p Win 7 & Linux Mint | Toshiba M4 | Motion M1400 renice 120GB SSD | ITRONIX IX-325 | Motion F5 (U7500 update) | Fujitsu P1620 | T4220 w/SXGA+ 160GB Intel X18-M & 1TB HDD in bay | broken TC4400 [for experimentation] | i5 3570K mITX desktop w/GTX460 | ASUS N10j
    Gone but not Forgotten: HP Tm2 | HP Slate 500 | HP touchpad 32GB | 6-core desktop

Editor, TabletPCReview

Default Re: Which iPad 3? 16 vs 32 vs 64 GB: Usage Scenarios, Experiences & Apps w main PC/Mac

crashnburn, my usage with the iPad is a mix of the ones you listed. It's my primary personal computer, and I do a lot of work on it too, but use a Windows PC for some job-related tasks as well.

Even when I'm working from my home office, much of the content published on Brighthand has been written and/or edited on an iPad. I handle most of my work email on this tablet as well.

When I'm on a business trip, I still bring a small netbook along for emergencies. I haven't actually turned it on during my last four trips, though. When I'm on the road, when I need do do something work-related that's beyond the capabilities of the tablet I start up LogMeIn, connect to my office PC, and go to work with remote access.

My personal email and web surfing is also on the iPad, generally in front of the TV or on the deck when the weather cooperates. I also get caught up on back episodes of TV shows on it.

I have almost completely given up reading books on paper. As I read a lot, after a few decades my house was becoming overly-crowded with books, so about a year ago I switch to reading on a tablet. I haven't looked back.

I do a certain amount of gaming as well. I play a lot of RPGs, and I find the iPad to be a good option for this. crashnburn, you should check out the latest iPad to see if the new high-res screen meets your needs for gaming.

This tablet has not replaced my smartphone. The iPad doesn't go with me everywhere, and I need to be in touch with work almost all the time.
    -
    Follow me on Twitter at EdFromTPCR or on Google+. This site has a Twitterfeed too, at TabletPCReview.

Thanks for the insights Ed. I am wondering if things have changed more now that the iPad 3 has arrived?

Pen Pal - Newbie

32GB is enough, some games for playing a while, you will be tired of it. Generally use it for movies and e-book. That is enough if you do these on iPad 32GB version.

Weeeeeeeee

Quote Originally Posted by pook View Post
    32GB is enough, some games for playing a while, you will be tired of it. Generally use it for movies and e-book. That is enough if you do these on iPad 32GB version.
    I use my ipad 1 32gb 3g for surfing gaming and videos / general media consumption. the 3g is great during the winter when you lose power and tv. while everyone just goes to sleep with nothing to do with no power i just sit there and surf the web. easy to turn on and off at will its perfect for emergencies.(you can activate 3g with no wifi connection). over the past year ipad apps have grown 30% in size. its not uncommon at all to run in to a 800mb-1gb single app download. pretty much anything over the complexity of a basic gems game is usually pretty big. out of 32gb I have 6 gb left. most of space was used from the better more intense games ive downloaded. Mostly these days i use it for reading and surfing. Its to bad I dont have much space for many videos. Streaming videos as everyone likes to bring up sucks balls. Even video wifi over my verizon fios home network sucks. its better to have the video on the device.

I think I can survive with 32 gb but the next one maybe the ipad 4 i will get 64gb for more videos. I love carrying them with me to just play any time.

again people always talk about streaming to their device but my own personal experience with this has been pretty bad and its not remotely reliable.
    Last edited by acorn; 10-18-2012 at 06:48 PM.
    I give up on tablet laptops. now using second generation 21ux-DTK2100

I got a used iPad1 3G 64GB for 270 $ from Cowboom. Nice condition and mostly use it for PDF, Document, Ebook Reading and watching movies, tv series in bed or when traveling.
    Some Casual Web surfing & short emails at times.

I keep wondering when or if ever I'll use it as a true productive tool?

Pen Pal - Newbie

you can't buy a 16 gb ipad that was my mistake that I really regret now cause the ipad will be used much in games and you will download huge applications I strongly recommend minimum of 32 gb. cause Also the music will cause a storage issue too later on.

-Mina

Thread Information