Jaja Pressure Sensitive Stylus

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Jaja Pressure Sensitive Stylus

So, among my illustrator friends there has been talk about this Kickstarter project that is developing a pressure-sensitive stylus for the iPad:
    jaja :: Worlds First Pressure Sensitive Stylus for iPad by Jon Atherton — Kickstarter

I am not an iPad owner, as I swore I wouldn't buy one until someone offered a decent pressure-sensitive stylus for the platform, but if this pans out (i.e., gets Alias/Autodesk app support for its functionality) I may finally pony up for the slate.

They're making some enticing promises: 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity, long battery life, out-of-the-box compatibility ProCreate with (Savage Interactive - Procreate) software.

However there seem to be a few caveats: as it is essentially an enhanced capacitive stylus, it needs to work with the "minimal area of contact" limitation inherent of the technology (please correct me if I'm wrong), so it has one of those funky loop-shaped tips.

The other may not be a 'caveat' per se, though a point of which I am a little skeptical. Rather than transmitting the pressure data via BlueTooth, the Jaja promises better battery life by using high frequency sound transmission that is received by the iPad's microphone. This -seems- like it would be susceptible to interference, but I'm not a sound tech. or electrician, or even very bright in general, so I may be completely wrong. I'm just wondering if the pressure sensitivity would suffer any inconsistencies due to the technology implemented here.

Thoughts? I definitely won't shell out for an iPad and prepurchase one of these styluses as I would rather wait for the early adopter bugs to be worked out. Though, at the same time, who knows if production of this product will go beyond the initial Kickstarter release?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: Jaja Pressure Sensitive Stylus

It has nothing on a Wacom Active digitizer pen system that works right [not that they have really changed much in the last decade+ anyways]; heck even N-trig is still a leap and bound [or two, or even three] behind Wacom and they have a lot more capital and implementation in many systems

If you wouldn't go for something like the Q550, Cl900, Slate 2, and Latitude ST with Windows 7, decent battery life and N-trig systems, then don't consider even less than that, My opinion anyways
    Current: HP 2730p Win 7 & Linux Mint | Toshiba M4 | Motion M1400 renice 120GB SSD | ITRONIX IX-325 | Motion F5 (U7500 update) | Fujitsu P1620 | T4220 w/SXGA+ 160GB Intel X18-M & 1TB HDD in bay | broken TC4400 [for experimentation] | i5 3570K mITX desktop w/GTX460 | ASUS N10j
    Gone but not Forgotten: HP Tm2 | HP Slate 500 | HP touchpad 32GB | 6-core desktop

Pen Pro - Senior Member

There are a couple of other Ipad/Pressure/Stylus/etc projects on Kickstarter. While I admire the innovation and attempt.......I can't help but feel most if not all of those attempts will never see the light of day. Ten One Design (makers of the Pogo Stlyus) has already managed to rig pressure on the ipad, but Apple won't allow it. And honestly all of these other methods like Bluetooth/sound/etc...I can't ever really see them catching on.
    Lenovo X-61 Tablet - 1.6 ghz, 4 gb ram
    Gateway C-120X - 1.06 ghz, 2 gb ram (dead)
    Hp TC1100 - 1.1 ghz, 1.5 gb ram
    Ls800 - 1.2 ghz, 2 gb ram
    Eee PC T-91, 1.3 ghz, 2 gb ram
    Ipad 16gb Wi-FI (it does count as a tablet)
    HP Slate 500 - 1.86 ghz, 2 gb ram
    Asus Ep121 - 1.33 ghz, 4gb ram
    Samsung Series 7 Slate - 1.6 ghz, 4 gb of ram

Pen Pal - Newbie

Agent_9: So far, I agree. I already use a Fujitsu T-4215 for my mobile rig and a Cintiq 18SX for all my heavy lifting. The Fujitsu replaced my Toshiba R25 (14" screen real estate was great, but the visibility is awful) and my TC4400 before that (solid, but rife with digitizer defects.) The Fujitsu was a recent purchase because I got such a great buy on it - but in the long run, I'd like to get something more mobile for doing work outside of the home.

But there's no harm in hoping for a formidable alternative, right?

darkmagistric: I think it's a little absurd that there isn't a proper pressure sensitive stylus for the iPad, considering how many people in the graphics industries are hardcore Apple users.

I am also skeptical as to whether or not any of these hackneyed solutions will catch on. Honestly I think that the weird microphone solution is probably better attributed to the developer's need to cut costs, not battery consumption.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

slightly off topic, but I have always wondered. Does kickstart projects get to keep the money even if the project doesnīt happen?

on topic. I think the hardcore fidelity towards Wacom is slightly hurting the chanses of other companies getting as good.
    Sometimes it feels as though people actually rather have Wacom monopolizing the market. We as consumers would only benefit from having more actors, right?
    Personally I feel that N-trig is coming along, maybe if we dared to step away from wacom others could more easily develop into some real competition.
    I could easily see myself use the Lenovo Tablet for instance...in that case itīs not really N-trig that holds me back(even though from hearing how bad N-trig is all the time it ofcourse worries me)
    Enough of a rant.

Pen Pal - Newbie

The hardcore fidelity to Wacom is well deserved, I think. You can nit pick about certain problems with them, like the Cintiq 12 being 2005 technology in desperate need of an upgrade, but as far as the tablets themselves go they work and work really, really well.

Anyway artist types tend to be pretty loyal to their tools, in part because the learning curve with a new one is different than the learning curve in other fields and with other technology. It often comes down to the "feel", which is a hard thing to explain why it works or doesn't.

Scribbler - Standard Member

After trying iPad1 for art, I'm definitely a member of the Church of Wacom. Amen brother.

That sketchbook ink vector app unveiled today for iPad looked neat. Exports over 100 megapixels. Still, it's just not the right approach. No color blending, no pin-point accuracy, and no full featured tools ala Photoshop.

As a Mac user who jumped on board with the Samsung S7 Slate, I'm looking forward to Windows 8 more than anything for tablets.

However, I'd love to "fingerpaint" on an iMac Touch….or this:

Jeff Han has a 27-inch iPad... - YouTube

…they have an 80" version O.o

Weeeeeeeee

if you dont care about pen pressure you can create any size touch area using a wii controller (@ james) . however pressure is the key issue and this project doesnt sound like a winner if it still depends on the large surface tip. its to bad really all those lovely pixels on the ipad 3 and no pen pressure to enjoy it.
    I give up on tablet laptops. now using second generation 21ux-DTK2100

Pen Pro - Senior Member

The Jaja stylus has a tip almost identical to the Adonit Jot, which seems to be the closest to pinpoint accuracy the iPad has these days - a metal ball tip with a clear plastic disc. The plastic lets you see what you're doing and offers the screen a large enough contact point, while the metal 'concentrates' the conductivity to the smallest point possible - the pressure sensitivity is actually using ultrasound picked up by the iPad's mic rather than a bluetooth connection or something; weird but I guess it works.

I've gotten interested in iPads all over again seeing this kind of advancement in styli - there is also the ByZero Studio pen which uses a receiver and actually gets you hover, palm rejection, and pixel accuracy, but with varying degrees of reliability and very few compatible apps. (Similarly, the Cregle iPen exists, but appears to be a bad implementation of same.)

Pen Pro - Senior Member

None of these pressure sensitive styli for iPad will give you reliable palm rejection because they rely on existing cap touch for X/Y coordinates, which means you have to draw/jot using hover hand. While Hover hands in pictures on the internet is hilarious, with drawing/writing it is not.

Forget trying to shoe-horn pressure sensitive and accurate input onto the iPad. It's much easier to go with another tablet that has proper EMR pressure sensitive digitizer, such as the new upcoming Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1.

Thread Information