iPad does Hand Writing

Closed Thread
    MedicalTabletPC

Default iPad does Hand Writing

Well it has happened. The iPad, an excellent, "Consuming," device (basically view/listen to data), now has the opportunity to become a productive business machine. Thanks to the efforts of Jump Desktop: Remote Desktop (RDP and VNC) for iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch and Ritescript Home, the iPad now has handwriting recognition!

For several weeks now I've been using my iPad in conjunction with my Writepad EMR and being able to hand write into my EMR application!

Read more: MedicalTabletPC.com
    MedicalTabletpc
    C.M.Wilkerson, D.C.
    Editor-in-Chief
    www.MedicalTabletPC.com

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: iPad does Hand Writing

that's a joke, isn't it?
    Not only is it slow, it also depends on a PC and a good constant internet connection, so it only really works via WiFi or if you're at home.
    Else, I can also say that my Android phone is running Windows 7* with full Office 2010, Opera, Firefox, PDF Revu, ...
    Not that I don't like the idea, but it's a pain in the a** to work with it. It's ok as an emergency solution, if you forgot to take your PC with you but have to do serious work, then you can turn on your PC remotely and control via a remote connection.

Sorry, but I still think this post is more an april joke than anything else.

*using PocketCloud

Wait and Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    that's a joke, isn't it?
    Not only is it slow, it also depends on a PC and a good constant internet connection, so it only really works via WiFi or if you're at home.
    Else, I can also say that my Android phone is running Windows 7* with full Office 2010, Opera, Firefox, PDF Revu, ...
    Not that I don't like the idea, but it's a pain in the a** to work with it. It's ok as an emergency solution, if you forgot to take your PC with you but have to do serious work, then you can turn on your PC remotely and control via a remote connection.

*using PocketCloud
    I think you mean "april fools joke" but I agree 100%. Waiting for my HP Slate 500.

Bronsky
    Thinkpad X301 | Asus Note 8 | Nokia 928

MedicalTabletPC

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    that's a joke, isn't it?

*using PocketCloud
    "Sorry, but I still think this post is more an april joke than anything else."

Sorry, my friend but that is due to your ignorance.

RDP is generally not slow at all when set up properly. In fact I use RDP on my HP 2740 to access a database server because it gives me query results faster than over my n wifi!

The iPad is not slow at all with JumpDesktop, at least not yet. With a single click I am on my desktop at work in less than two seconds. Navigation is easier with fingers than a mouse. I'm not saying I prefer an iPad to my 27 inch monitor and quad core Win7 machine.
    Business users employ RDP all the time when away from the office. I have 14 computers at my office. From home I can access any of them with RDP and work nearly as fast as if I am in front of them because of the way RDP works. (*) You could use a 3 G connection with an iPad. Routers are ubiquitous. What person with a job doesn't have a wifi router these days?

I'm not exclaiming this technology is a panacea. It is revolutionary and is another, "needed," tool beyond a virtual keyboard.

*the application logic executes on the server and only screen updates, mouse movements and keystrokes are transmitted via the session. The session enables the user to access server-based applications that appear to run locally on the client machine but execute on the server. This is why RDP can be screaming fast when properly set up and yes the connection is good.
    Last edited by digital-doc; 10-06-2010 at 08:47 AM.
    MedicalTabletpc
    C.M.Wilkerson, D.C.
    Editor-in-Chief
    www.MedicalTabletPC.com

Ritescript/EverNote

Solution page is here Ritescript Products | ritePen for iPad, sample screenshot is appended.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

First of all this is not directed at anyone, but is an observation on some of the "Apple Users" I know, and the market trends.

This proves my point that the market tends towards "consumer" devices that the consumer says "I want it to be fast, light, self contained, and tiny... and a little apple logo too"

Then they realize some truth, and say "I want to be able to do whatever I want to do with this device... even if it means it is no longer as fast, means it is a total pain to work with, requires other devices to do stuff [no longer self contained], and doesn't work right [still no Wacom, or even N-Nrig digitizer]; but it still has the apple logo, so it is a good trade off ... and now I bought this thing I'm stuck with it "

It seems silly to buy a device that is designed to only do a few things, buy it because of that fact [if you boil it down that is the core reason] and then complain that it does only a few things... then get tired of the device and find some sub standard work around that doesn't get the outcome you really wanted.

Go big or go home should be the mentality of the entire market, because if all companies would focus on developing fast, small, and usable devices. Then it wouldn't be long before there was a super compact Tablet PC [slate] that would be blindingly fast, a slate, functional, have a full OS and it'd be tiny (some may even have apple logos as well)

That aside... this seems a somewhat decent work around, though I don't think it would be that great for note taking/ hand writing input. how is your experience with it (the short comings... be honest). I know that One Note is the closest to perfection, and even at that it is far from it (I want to keep virtual hand writing, not what will end up being jumbled words in a random text file that will crash some time later... at which point I lose all my notes. which is part of what makes One Note so great.)
    Current: HP 2730p Win 7 & Linux Mint | Toshiba M4 | Motion M1400 renice 120GB SSD | ITRONIX IX-325 | Motion F5 (U7500 update) | Fujitsu P1620 | T4220 w/SXGA+ 160GB Intel X18-M & 1TB HDD in bay | broken TC4400 [for experimentation] | i5 3570K mITX desktop w/GTX460 | ASUS N10j
    Gone but not Forgotten: HP Tm2 | HP Slate 500 | HP touchpad 32GB | 6-core desktop

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by digital-doc View Post
    RDP is generally not slow at all when set up properly. In fact I use RDP on my HP 2740 to access a database server because it gives me query results faster than over my n wifi!
    I find this surprising. I once worked in an office with some kind of virtualization and it was painfully slow. When you are used to working on a PC with dual cores and SATA hard drives, any network connection is slow, and made even slower if you are using anything less than at T-class internet connection. For instance, even though I am far away, I still maintain my Mom's PC using LogMeIn personal. Even though it gets the job done, it's super slow waiting for the remote machine to react to both mouse and keyboard.

I'd be interested to know how this works from the wi-fi network of a coffee shop...

:)ensen.
    Those who claim to be making history are often the same ones repeating it.

Pictures and Video of my tilting trike.

Toshiba Portege M400 T7200/4GB/SXGA+/128GB-SSD

Old timer

It's nice that a workaround is available, but it's still a workaround. Expensive too.
    Eugene Leafty
    Tablet #1: Fujitsu T4210, XGA, T2450, 4GB G.Skill 4-4-4-12 memory, Hitachi 7k200, 2 modular bay batteries, Vista Biz, Office Ultimate, PDF Annotator, PDF Revu, Autodesk SketchBook Pro, Logitech Nano, infoCase Fieldmate case, Wacom Cross-1 penabled stylus, Belkin F8E550 cable lock.
    Tablet #2: Fujitsu U820.
    Tablet #3: Dell Venue 8 Pro, 32GB, active stylus, IVSO case, Xtremeguard screen protector
    Book scanner: Plustek Opticbook 3600

MedicalTabletPC

Quote Originally Posted by purplepeopledesign View Post
    I find this surprising. I once worked in an office with some kind of virtualization and it was painfully slow. When you are used to working on a PC with dual cores and SATA hard drives, any network connection is slow, and made even slower if you are using anything less than at T-class internet connection. For instance, even though I am far away, I still maintain my Mom's PC using LogMeIn personal. Even though it gets the job done, it's super slow waiting for the remote machine to react to both mouse and keyboard.

I'd be interested to know how this works from the wi-fi network of a coffee shop...

ensen.
    My RDP connections are fast because:
    1. I have fast up to date computers on both ends
    2. I have the fastest cable and DSL connections that I can buy
    3. I tweak the RDP settings Options for speed

I use RDP from MS as mstsc, Logmein Personal and Hamachi. I have saved hyperlinks in a folder on my desktop with memorized options. One click and I am on any computer in my office in seconds. I too manage my mother's computer with Logmein and that connection lags somewhat because her computer is slow.
    Sometimes RDP does drag. Especially around 6 oclock on a Friday night. I have the fastest cable that roadrunner offers but I'm sure that every client they have for my server (120 per server) area is on the internet. I would imagine a wifi coffee shop would have broadbroad bloat problems, rendering RDP sloooww.
    Last edited by digital-doc; 10-15-2010 at 09:57 AM.
    MedicalTabletpc
    C.M.Wilkerson, D.C.
    Editor-in-Chief
    www.MedicalTabletPC.com

MedicalTabletPC

MedicalTabletpc
    C.M.Wilkerson, D.C.
    Editor-in-Chief
    www.MedicalTabletPC.com

Thread Information