Initial iPad impressions from a tm2 owner. - Page 3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Re: Initial iPad impressions from a tm2 owner.

I bought a TM2 right after the Ipad specs were announced. I thought the damn thing was horrible. Then I stepped into an apple store and tried it out...

Bought the 16 gig ipad and I haven't touched my tm2 since I'll use my tm2 when i know I'll be doing some sketching somewhere but for everything else I prefer the lighter and long battery life of the Ipad.

It's just more fun to use for certain things. It gets out of sleep mode instantly and the web browsing is extremely fast. The damn thing is really thin and much easier to carry around than a laptop.

PS The fact that Apple can make a machine this nice for 500 bucks and Wacom is still selling a 5 year old lcd screen with a tablet on top for $1,000, or $2,000 really pisses me off btw.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Cool story. Like I said I thought about it but love my pen and the ability to play my media from my PC without conversion.

I would kill myself it I had to type everything on an OSK. I ink faster than I can type on those things.
    Samsung Series 7 XE700T1A-A04US 11.6-Inch Slate (128 GB, Win 7 HP)
    HP TouchSmart tm2t-1000 CTO
    HP Slate 500
    Toshiba Libretto W100
    ASUS Eee Slate EP121 64GB SSD/4 GB RAM
    Lenvo X220T ~ Core i7-2620M ~ 8GB DDR3-1333 ~ 320GB @ 7200 RPM

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I think that the iPad will do for computing what the Wii did for gaming. The Wii introduced the Wiimote, and now, we see that the XBox 360 and the Playstation 3 are coming out with Project Natal and Playstation Move, respectively.

[speculation]
    I believe that the iPad will raise awareness of the benefits of touch on something larger than a PDA/iPhone. Because of their iWork apps (Pages, Keynote, etc.), we'll start to see more development of computer applications that will employ touch as well. Tablet PCs will become more commonly seen and people will begin to use them religiously (though I think that a majority of people still won't see the advantages in inking T_T)

Also, we have to consider timing. Sprint is currently looking into 4G and spreading it around the nation. As soon as they can deem their endeavors to be "successful", AT&T and Verizon will jump on that boat as well. My guess is that 4G will be among all the major carriers by the end of this year. If that were the case, then it would put Apple in a perfect position to sell a 4G version of the iPad, complete with a front-facing camera and other things people want, at around the April of next year.
    [/speculation]

I won't be picking up an iPad for myself. I'll be picking up the HP EliteBook 2740p when it comes out instead. ^_^
    Last edited by Ollec; 04-06-2010 at 11:10 PM.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ollec View Post
    I won't be picking up an iPad for myself. I'll be picking up the HP EliteBook 2740p when it comes out instead. ^_^
    Sweet machine! If it only had a dedicated GPU option I'd be right there with you.

I think your speculation is pretty spot BTW.
    Samsung Series 7 XE700T1A-A04US 11.6-Inch Slate (128 GB, Win 7 HP)
    HP TouchSmart tm2t-1000 CTO
    HP Slate 500
    Toshiba Libretto W100
    ASUS Eee Slate EP121 64GB SSD/4 GB RAM
    Lenvo X220T ~ Core i7-2620M ~ 8GB DDR3-1333 ~ 320GB @ 7200 RPM

Pen Pal - Newbie

Being new to this, I would only buy the ipad if it starts to support flash, JavaScript, multi tasking and an office suite from Microsoft (quickoffice sucked so bad on the ipod)

Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by 5567729 View Post
    Being new to this, I would only buy the ipad if it starts to support flash, JavaScript, multi tasking and an office suite from Microsoft (quickoffice sucked so bad on the ipod)
    I second that!

Having said that,
    two things I am considering here.
    iPad, software works very fast, very clean...
    but very very limited.
    windows, can access millions of software...

HP slate will have an advantage.
    But, HP is an HP.
    It is not good quality if it is from HP, I bet you it will have heating issues.

Multi-touch, 9 inch, sliding but very thin keyboard (or great touch typing), front facing webcam, atom or core solo processor, 720p-1080p playback, GPS (if possible), 3g will get my money for these devices, otherwise....
    Current Systems in use:
    Asus G50VT-X5 Intel Core2Duo p7450 @2.13GHz, nvidia 9800GS, 15.4", 320GB HDD, Vista 64bits
    Sony VGN-AR730E/B Intel Core2Duo T8100 @2.1GHz, nvidia 8400GT, 17.1", Blueray, 2x160GB HDD Ubuntu 9.10
    Powerbook G4 1.67GHz, 1GB DDR, ATI Radeon 9700 64MB DDR, Tiger 10.4.11,
    HP 2710P, Intel Core2Duo U7600, @1.2GHz, X3100, 12.1", 120GB HDD, docked, XP Tablet
    MSI U100-849 Intel Atom N270 @ 2GHz, Intel 950 GMA, 10", 160GB HDD, XP Home - Ubuntu Dual Boot?

Pen Pal - Newbie

What apple has done is keep things simple: A tv will always work better than a Tv phone. Apple has tried to keep the ipad simple but big- thats where the problem starts. Some thing that big should have an actual os. Apple has always had the advantage of looks since they helped develop the mouse and GUI, then people said "that looks cool!" but the software wasnt as good as windows.
    Only reason that i will never buy an apple product: U buy it and then a better one comes out. Heres the example in a comic: What it's like to own an Apple product - The Oatmeal

In the end it just comes down to opinoin and what your doin, if your a child then you will want a ipad, if your a doctor taking notes then you will want a slate/tablet.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by blackfire View Post
    In the end it just comes down to opinoin and what your doin, if your a child then you will want a ipad, if your a doctor taking notes then you will want a slate/tablet.
    I am a doctor and I have a kid. That explains why I have both.

DJ / VJ / Performer

I am not a tm2 owner but I have owned table pcs the last being a gateway c140X before I got a iPad. And like one of the previous posters said it is really apples and oranges as the os of the two computers ( win 7 and ios ) where built with different ideas in mind.

The fact is that computing has changed. What used to take a powerful computer to do now can be done with more lightweight hardware. Things like communications, researching, and brainstorming for me is done on a iPad while I use a laptop to develop code and build projects ( I.E. The Heavy lifting ). While 5 years ago that was not really possible on a mobile platform ( or at least not as refined ) today it is how I make cash!

I mean come on who checks Twitter from a desktop? I am really surprised that their isn't more love for ios being a os basically created for touch/tablet interfaces? In a few years Microsoft will be doing the same thing in creating a touch based os for mobile devices. Think a zune / windows 7 phone hybrid ( btw I am typing this on my iPad and zune is a incorrect word! Lol zune)
    ----------------------------------------------
    Whats I Gots :
    Mac Book Pro 2.66 i7
    Matte Hi-Res Screen
    4 GB DDR3

iPad 64 Gb WIFI

To see what i will be doing with this laptop see:
    The Kid Kadian A/V Club

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Ah, the iPad. I have spent at least four months of research on my decision to buy a TM2. I have gone from initially thinking of getting an iPad to looking at android tablets, to looking at trying to get windows 7 on a JooJoo to looking at a Lenovo x201t to ultimately buying the TM2.

The iPad has some strengths, yes, in that it is a very light and portable device with good viewing angles and a competent OS. It even offers better media playback with VLC and such. There are a great many uses for it, but it's just so damn dumb.

I refuse to accept that a device that has less power than my phone, runs the same OS as my phone and lacks any semblance of connectivity outside of it's dock and wifi/3G is the best possible option.

It's a mediocre offering, and Apple knows it can do better. Hell, if they made a convertible tablet Macbook Air, they might have sold me.

But I'll take my heavy, thick PC with it's 8GB of RAM, Core i5 and ATI graphics. The weight is a small price to pay to have my options a bit more open.

Thread Information