Overheating

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Overheating

Dell XT2

Default Overheating

For the past week my PC has been overheating. I have it sat up on a table, and with the battery in to lift it off the table, but its still running at 150+F. I have called up Gateway tech, and they told me to take compressed air and blow out the fans, and that would fix the problem. I have read online that sometimes doing that can damage the fans. But I have done a visual inspection and their is no real dust on my fans.

Is their any reason for this.. I use to be able to have this PC on my lap and watch TV shows and what not, but no now, cause it might burn me.

Scribbler - Standard Member

Default Re: Overheating

What kind of system?

Also, do you hear the fans coiming on? IF so how often and for how long?

I would get the compressed air and call GW TS back and have them walk you through what they want you to do. Make them aware of your concerns and have them note what you are doing and that its at their request. Have them read the notes they left back exactly as they are noted. If you are paranoid call them back and ask a different rep to read you what notes are on your account for that call. Make sure you get the Tech's name & ID. Also be nice, it really does work better.

If it causes any problems that may help with dealing with them, and then again it may not. :-P

Just my 0.02
    JDragon
    ________
    Gateway CX210S
    2.16 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo - 2 Gig Ram - 80gig 7200rpm HD - ATI Radeon X1400 64MB - Windows Vista Home Premium

Dell XT2

I have a CX262 and the fans are always on, they never shut off.. as soon as it boots, the fans start, when I leave my PC alone, and get up to get a drink or somethings, they slow down and the PC somewhat cools off.

"I will do science to it"

Hi ParisAsta,

Have you checked if there is any spyware on your computer, by using either Lavasoft's Ad-Aware or Safer Networking's SpyBot S&D? Some rouge applications running in the background may contribute to high processor usage, thus the fan must run.

I'm also looking at your signature, with the specifications of your Tablet PC. A Intel C2D T7400 2.16 GHz tends to run hot at that high frequency; and a 7200 RPM hard drive also runs hotter than a 5400 RPM. The combined temperature of both the processor and the hard drive will cause the system temperature to rise, thus the fans must initiate to expel the heat from these two peripherals. You could try NHC (Notebook Hardware Control), here, download it and set the CPU speed to "Dynamic Switching" to bring the speed of the processor down when it is idle, but dynamically switches the processor. to the 2.16 GHz frequency if possible, when a program requires processing time with the processor.
    Last edited by SimsHsia; 03-26-2007 at 09:00 PM.

Dell XT2

Thanks for the link..

But I do not have a tablet with a Duo, its a Centrino M at 1.7, with a 100GB HDD, 1GB of RAM, and its running Windows Tablet PC.

I have ran the spyware scans and only found a few, but nothing that was running in the background.

"I will do science to it"

Whoops! Wrong signature then!

I have a laptop that also didn't seem to have any dust, until I blew some compressed air and it flew straight out. Just try not to go Rambo with the compressed air and blast at full strength. Small, short bursts should be sufficient to blow out the dust.

The trick for compressed air is to keep the can upright and use short bursts.

Holding the can upside down causes the chemical to be thrown out which frosts anything it touches, and that's what can damage your machine.

Quote Originally Posted by herb2k View Post
    The trick for compressed air is to keep the can upright and use short bursts.

Holding the can upside down causes the chemical to be thrown out which frosts anything it touches, and that's what can damage your machine.
    Good to know, thanks.
    JDragon
    ________
    Gateway CX210S
    2.16 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo - 2 Gig Ram - 80gig 7200rpm HD - ATI Radeon X1400 64MB - Windows Vista Home Premium

Dell XT2

Thanks for the tips, I know about compressed air, cause I use it to clean out my mums PC.. and about the frost problem.. at least the frost does not effect Keys on a keyboard.. well at least not a dell keyboard... yea. compressed air should never be given to PC techs at Job Corps either.

I'll give it a go... and see what happens... if all else fails, I'll take the back off and clean the fan and blow out any dust with an anti-static vac.

This is the first time that this thing has overheated.. and done it more than once. I just hope that nothing melted.. cause I know the burns on my legs hurt (like a sunburn).

Any other tips to keeping one of these beast cool, keep them coming.

Thanks for the help ^_^

You can check out osme of those laptop coolers, you put them under the laptop and they act like a giant heatsink and have a few extra fans. They would also act as a buffer between the heat and your lap.
    Gateway CX210X
    Intel Core2 Duo T5600 1.83Ghz | 1Gig Memory | 80Gig 7200RPM HD | ATi X1400 64Mb | Windows Vista Ultimate

Thread Information