Windows 8 cp bezel swipe experience

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Windows 8 cp bezel swipe experience

Hi, I don't know if it is only me but I find the touch experience with my new W500 tablet a bit disappointing with Windows 8. I also own a Asus EP121 and the reason I bought this tablet is its size and keyboard dock.

With Windows 8, we can access programs settings by swiping a finger at the right side of the bezel. With my W500, I find it hard to do it without having to retry many times. For it to work properly, I need to swipe it very slowly. It is the same th9ng with IE 10. I need to be careful and swipe my finger very slowly from top to bottom. Is there a way to circumvent this? With my Asus EP121, I do not have that behavior.

Thanks,
    Ccote

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: Windows 8 cp bezel swipe experience

Same here. I've just gotten used to it.

Seems natural for me now.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Perhaps touch is not calibrated correctly enough to detect the edge. Can you recalibrate? See if touch appears accurate first.

Update: Acer has new touch panel firmware that fixes the edge swipe problem. Touch is also more responsive as well. Look on their bios download section. Get the updater for touch panel, not bios. Acer US Support. Also there is risk to hardware updates failing and breaking things--in this case losing touch.
    Last edited by area52; 04-04-2012 at 01:10 AM.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Finally got a hold of a W500; I had a similar problem on the Samsung Series 7 Slate which I haven't had in a while. Yep, you can calibrate for better edge handling by pressing each of the calibration crosshairs a little off target (toward the center of the screen). I had trouble swiping the edges aftering installing the Win8 CP, but now I can swipe as fast as I want. Search for Control Panel and select Tablet PC Settings to find calibration options.

Scribbler - Standard Member

Quote Originally Posted by area52 View Post
    Finally got a hold of a W500; I had a similar problem on the Samsung Series 7 Slate which I haven't had in a while. Yep, you can calibrate for better edge handling by pressing each of the calibration crosshairs a little off target (toward the center of the screen). I had trouble swiping the edges aftering installing the Win8 CP, but now I can swipe as fast as I want. Search for Control Panel and select Tablet PC Settings to find calibration options.
    Interesting, I got to try this with my iconia 6120 dual screen

Scribbler - Standard Member

Thumbs up Re: Windows 8 cp bezel swipe experience

Quote Originally Posted by area52 View Post
    Wow! That fixed my swiping issue for the W500. Thanks for the tip!

Pen Pal - Newbie

Relevant post over on the building windows blog today: Touch hardware and Windows 8 - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

It looks like they are planning on supporting some sort of extra room on the edges for Windows 7 devices with poor edge sensitivity. I wonder if this is in the consumer preview? If so, is there something we need to do to activate it?

I'll try re-calibrating when I get home, but as it is now, I really need to swipe in slowly. It's not a big deal for me, but it kind of ruins the experience for first-time users when I'm attempting to show off how cool Win8 is!

Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I had the same experience with detecting swipes from the bezel which was far from perfect.
    After installing the latest touch panel firmware update from Acer (1007.2005) it has changed drastically. Now works almost every time.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by afripino View Post
    Wow! That fixed my swiping issue for the W500. Thanks for the tip!
    Glad I was able to help.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbram View Post
    Relevant post over on the building windows blog today: Touch hardware and Windows 8 - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

It looks like they are planning on supporting some sort of extra room on the edges for Windows 7 devices with poor edge sensitivity. I wonder if this is in the consumer preview? If so, is there something we need to do to activate it?
    When I read about this, the impression I got was that they want to shrink down the viewable dimensions in order to gain offscreen touch space. If true, I hope things don't look noticeably smaller than they already are. This seems unnecessary if they allow for onscreen gestures and make the touch calibration better.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kajetan View Post
    Hi,

I had the same experience with detecting swipes from the bezel which was far from perfect.
    After installing the latest touch panel firmware update from Acer (1007.2005) it has changed drastically. Now works almost every time.
    Have to say I got this feeling as well, but it seemed like wishful thinking.

Update: It seems the firmware update does actually fix things. I removed my calibration and edge swipes still work unlike previous decalibrations. And taps appear to be accurate. Great job Acer and Microsoft!
    Last edited by area52; 04-03-2012 at 11:40 PM.

Thread Information