W500 - Erratic Screen Flashing - Page 8

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    Pen Pal - Newbie

Default Re: W500 - Erratic Screen Flashing

Please, someone managed to solve the problem of the cursor?

The supoort the "Acer" is asking me to reinstall windows, someone already did it, did it?

On the website of "Acer" is no longer the link to download the firmware patch "How can I Prevent the cursor on my Acer Iconia Tab W500 Intermittently from jumping to the corner of the screen?" Anyone have this update you can share?

Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by rafaelllira View Post
    Please, someone managed to solve the problem of the cursor?

The supoort the "Acer" is asking me to reinstall windows, someone already did it, did it?

On the website of "Acer" is no longer the link to download the firmware patch "How can I Prevent the cursor on my Acer Iconia Tab W500 Intermittently from jumping to the corner of the screen?" Anyone have this update you can share?
    I restored the OS and did their screen firmware update....didn't help. I think they pulled the update after figuring out it didn't correct the problem.

I got my W500 about two weeks ago, and almost immediately had the drifting cursor problem. After interacting with Acer's online support, they had me ship it the factory for a 'hardware repair' (after restoring the OS and doing other troubleshooting with them).

I got the 'repaired' unit back on Friday, and after an hour or so of use I saw the same behavior (and then I came out here and saw that others had received theirs back and still had issues). On Friday I reflashed the screen firmware ... no difference.

Yesterday the Acer tech (on the phone) told me that according the factory logs all they had done was to restore the OS and then tested it. I told her it was a fairly intermittent problem, which is likely why it passed their 'test.' I pointed them to this site and Amazon.com reviews to read that others were experiencing this issue (I even pointed them to a youtube video I posted). After putting me on hold to talk to the manager, the tech sent me another FedEx label to have it shipped back to the factory for a 2nd time (I own a well traveled W500). I asked if this was a widespread issue they were tracking and the tech did admit that she'd heard other reports of this problem.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Mine is nowhere near as bad as before but I feel the update may have moved the 'touch' action to another part of the screen or something silly like that.

I'm now ok with mine, even though it does press the damn start button ever so often when I'm in portrait mode. I do hope that they release a fix soon as this WILL probably damage sales.
    Owned/Sold: TC1100, Tosh M400/M750, HP TC4200/TC4400, Fujitsu Tab, Latitude XT/XT2, Acer 1820ptz, Archos9, SamsungQ1u, Sony VGN-UX1XN, Viewsonic 10, Asus R2h, HP 2740p/2760p/2x TM2, Asus EP121, 2xAcer W500, 3xSamsung 7, Dell Lat ST, Lenovo X220, HP Slate 2, CL900, 2xAtiv 500t, Surface RT+2xPro, Dell Lat10, SurfPro 2, AcerW3, HP Split13 x2, Sams Ativtab 3, Lenovo Yoga11, MS Pro2 512GB. Current: MS SPro 3 256GB i7
    http://straywolves.blogspot.co.uk
    http://damianrjones.blogspot.co.uk

Pen Pal - Newbie

I noticed that with a stylus it happened less frequently and was more of an annoyance. But if I were trying to use my fingers (i.e. multi-touch) then it happened far more frequently. Once it got rolling in that 'drifting mode' I did try a number of the suggested tricks to get it to stop, but the only thing that really worked for any period of time would be hit the power button and put it to sleep (which I assumed reset the touch screen controller or something).

BTW - I really liked the device and sure hope they can just fix it. This must be an isolated thing since most of the reviews out on Amazon.com are glowing.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Had this on day one with my tablet from Amazon. Returned it immediately and my replacement seems to be working - so far. I'm able to play Call of Duty on it

Pen Pal - Newbie

Well received my W500 back for a week now and none of the issues have been fixed.
    Acer just updated the new screen firmware and reinstalled my OS.
    Though the desktop flash does not happen as much it is still active and annoying when it acts up.

Here is another W500 erratic screen action this one is different from the first one I posted in an earlier thread.
    It seems to look like jagged lines or interlaced lines on a video.

W500 Erratic Screen 2 : ACER ICONIA W500 Erratic Screen 2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Does not happen that often but when it does the only way to stop it is to reboot the tablet.

Not pleased with ACER so far.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

If you're experiencing this problem have you tried replicating it per this?

Edit: amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Iconia-W5...DateDescending

Post from June 20, 2011. Or search for "magnet."
    Last edited by papi; 06-29-2011 at 07:16 AM.

Pen Pal - Newbie

My initial suspicion was that this problem has something to do with the tablet flexing while being held. I saw the comment about the magnets and I think that's a good theory. But I wasn't sure how to undo whatever the magnets might be doing so I'm not sure how to test that statement. Once my W500 got in that drifting state it didn't seem holding it at different angles, laying it flat on a surface, or docking it made any difference.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Do not reinstall Windows as requested by Acer, as some users did this and did not solve the problem.

From what was reported, I believe the best solution is to send to the seller that I bought and request the change of the tablet. I did it today, I'm hoping to send me a tablet without problem.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys,

I have the same problem with my tablet and I found this solution on youtube.
    is a guide, I think it's official acer, where the defect is reported.

YouTube - ‪Random Click in lower right corner of the screen on the Iconia Tab W500.f4v‬‏

What do you think?

Thread Information