W500 Gaming??

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: W500 Gaming??

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default W500 Gaming??

I know the W500 is not meant for serious gaming but was just wondering what have you guys tried and what are the results.

I have tried Torchlight with pretty good result at 1280x800, low setting and it ran pretty smooth, will try to bump up the settings and see.

I have also tried Eve Online. Initial result was that it crashed after character selection and it start loading the the station environment. Contacted Tech support and was told to disable Eve Voice and then it loaded fine with low settings. After reporting this to tech support, was told to update audio driver directly from realtek.com.tw and then re-enable Eve Voice. Program once again crashed when loading the station environment so the problem is still there but you can run the game fine at 1280x800 at low setting with Eve Voice disabled.
    Laptop: Asus G51JXA1, Intel Core i7-720QM, 6GB RAM, 500GB 7200rpm HD, Panasonic UJ-130A BD-ROM, nVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M 1GB, 15.6" Full HD Widescreen.

Desktop: Intel Q9550, ASUS P5B Deluxe, 4GB DDR2 1066, 1.5TB 7200.10 (2 at RAID 0), EVGA GTX 260 FTW in a Antec P180B w/NeoHE 500W, Logitech G15, G7, Z680 speakers and a Dell 2709W.

Tablet: Acer Iconia W500 AMD Dual-Core C-50 1.0GHz, 2GB DDR3, 32GB SSD, 10.1" Multi-Touch Display, Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit, Dual Webcams, Docking Keyboard

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: W500 Gaming??

What games are touch friendly? (Tested on the Asus EP121 by me via Steam)

-Plants Vs Zombies
    -World of Goo
    -Defense Grid. Touch then Touch hold (like right clicking) to select
    -Angry Birds (not steam)
    -Crayon physics (Not steam and really a stylus game)
    -Eets
    -Peggle Night (the aim/fire action could frustrate and does. )
    -Bejeweled Twist
    -Chime (no way to exit current game, have to wait)
    -Rush

In the middle:
    -Tropico 3. Ideally wants a m+k

Not touch friendly
    -Shatter. Puck can be controlled but zero sensitivity. Also have to 'press' enter.
    -Revenge of the Titans. Insane mouse icon. Damn shame as it could have been perfect.
    Owned/Sold: TC1100, Tosh M400/M750, HP TC4200/TC4400, Fujitsu Tab, Latitude XT/XT2, Acer 1820ptz, Archos9, SamsungQ1u, Sony VGN-UX1XN, Viewsonic 10, Asus R2h, HP 2740p, HP TM2-1050ea, Asus EP121, HP TM2-2050ea, 2xAcer W500, 3xSamsung 7, Dell Lat ST, Lenovo X220, 2xHP 2760p, HP Slate 2, CL900, 2xAtiv 500t, Surface RT+Pro, Dell Lat10, Surface Pro 2, Acer W3, HP Split 13 x2, Sams Ativ tab 3, Lenovo Yoga11 (Orange!), MS SPro1 again, MS Pro2 512GB. Current: MS SPro 3 256GB i7

Pen Pro - Senior Member

oops! I wasn't even thinking about touch when I wrote that message. I was just thinking about older or less intensive titles that would run well on this. I would think most older games on the PC would not be touch friendly at all and the 2 titles I tried is the same as there is a lot of right click involved and those are hard to do on a touch screen. So they are basically to be played only while docked with keyboard or with a BT mouse.
    Last edited by Wiz33; 06-01-2011 at 05:45 PM.
    Laptop: Asus G51JXA1, Intel Core i7-720QM, 6GB RAM, 500GB 7200rpm HD, Panasonic UJ-130A BD-ROM, nVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M 1GB, 15.6" Full HD Widescreen.

Desktop: Intel Q9550, ASUS P5B Deluxe, 4GB DDR2 1066, 1.5TB 7200.10 (2 at RAID 0), EVGA GTX 260 FTW in a Antec P180B w/NeoHE 500W, Logitech G15, G7, Z680 speakers and a Dell 2709W.

Tablet: Acer Iconia W500 AMD Dual-Core C-50 1.0GHz, 2GB DDR3, 32GB SSD, 10.1" Multi-Touch Display, Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit, Dual Webcams, Docking Keyboard

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Im probably going to try and install C and C Generals at one point in the future as that could be a great game, along with Red Alert 2 and heck, even 1.

Here are a few more
    Games that work in slate mode
    Owned/Sold: TC1100, Tosh M400/M750, HP TC4200/TC4400, Fujitsu Tab, Latitude XT/XT2, Acer 1820ptz, Archos9, SamsungQ1u, Sony VGN-UX1XN, Viewsonic 10, Asus R2h, HP 2740p, HP TM2-1050ea, Asus EP121, HP TM2-2050ea, 2xAcer W500, 3xSamsung 7, Dell Lat ST, Lenovo X220, 2xHP 2760p, HP Slate 2, CL900, 2xAtiv 500t, Surface RT+Pro, Dell Lat10, Surface Pro 2, Acer W3, HP Split 13 x2, Sams Ativ tab 3, Lenovo Yoga11 (Orange!), MS SPro1 again, MS Pro2 512GB. Current: MS SPro 3 256GB i7

Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been playing Jewel quest and Elements which are nice and touch friendly as is angry birds. I've not tried world of goo yet as I have that on wii and I'm not sure if I want to buy it again. I've just about been able to play the adventure games like monkey island, Wallace and grommit (used the dock though). I was happily playing portal using the docked keyboard. The old lucas arts games work a treat except for quitting which you have to pull out the onscreen keyboard. Oh, track mania united works well and if you have an android phone can use that for tilt controls .

Doom 3 was nearly playable but maybe someone knows how to tweak it so it runs a little better. Quake etc run well and I'm about to try half life 2. I'm frustrated quantz doesn't work with the touch screen which is a shame. I hear the other half life games work well too. I will try braid over the weekend but this will require a keyboard I know. Trine was the last game I tried and that was almost playable until it came to combat / physics moments. Then it went really slow and unresponcive.

I can compare this with the 1.66 atom tablet I had before (had to return it because it was faulty). The GMA chipset didn't handle most of the above and a lot of the games were like slide shows and totally unplayable. I really want to find a good racing game that uses the accellerometer or any game for that matter that uses it. I'd like to try outrun 2006 but can't until I attach a DVD drive. There are a lot of old games I own on disc that I'd love to try but copy protection stops me.

I hope this helps I will no doubt continue to raid our back catalogue of games to see what works well on the tablet
    Last edited by Pawprints; 06-14-2011 at 07:27 PM. Reason: typos

Pen Pal - Newbie

Gazillionaire is a very old game that plays as though it was designed for a touch screen. Tried Age of Empires and Rome: Total War, and touch functions are a no go. I am still trying to find some things in my limited library that work with the touch screen. Thanks go out to all who have posted before, I have had this unit about two weeks now, and the tips I have found here have really made this device function nicely. I really love this thing, and hope Windows 8 lives up to my expectations. I owned an Ipad and two Android tablets before this, and just could not take being limited any more.

Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the following casual games on the W500:

Farm Frenzy (all versions work perfectly for touch)
    Montezuma 3 (almost perfect)

Pen Pal - Newbie

I have Civ 5 - have to run it on very low gfx but its incredibly touch friendly!

Fallout New Vegas - runs well (Amazingly so actually) but not good for touch screen.

Seen some great SC2 videos on Youtube and installing Sins of a Solar Empire soonish - ooh and prolly EQ2

Scribbler - Standard Member

Heroes of Might and Magic III ?
    Laptop: MSI GX720, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600M GT, 17.1 inch, 320 GB
    Tablet: Acer Iconia W500 AMD Dual-Core C-60 1.0GHz, Ati Radeon 6290 GPU 256Mb, 2GB DDR3, 32GB SSD, 10.1" Multi-Touch Display.

Pen Pal - Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Pawprints View Post
    Doom 3 was nearly playable but maybe someone knows how to tweak it so it runs a little better.
    You could do that. Or you could simply edit your display driver's INF file by adding in a lower widescreen resolution such as 848x480, then set everything in the game menu to low.

half life 2
    HL2 as well as CS:Source run as smooth as can be. The one game I regret not getting to run quite as smoothly is UT2.4K. UT2.4K seems to have difficulty accessing the full potential of the processor. Graphics wise it handles the game well enough, but not more elaborate maps.

I can compare this with the 1.66 atom tablet I had before (had to return it because it was faulty).
    Atom N280 1.66Ghz doesn't even begin to compare to AMD Ontario 1Ghz so this comparison is completely redundant.

AMD C-50 + HD6250 = 12x > Atom N280 + Intel GMA

Just forget what you know about Atom and you'll do fine. The only time you want to bring Atom into the argument is when the Atom is dual core and comes packing Nvidia Ion 2. Not even Nvidia Ion 1st gen can compare with the C-50, much less E-350.

I really want to find a good racing game that uses the accellerometer or any game for that matter that uses it.
    For this specific reason people go to iPad or Android tablet. For there is no accelerometer driving game to be found on Windows. Windows Mobile, maybe. Windows, not gonna happen.

I'd like to try outrun 2006 but can't until I attach a DVD drive.
    That's what USB flash drives are for. Just copy the content from your desktop PC to the USB stick and plug it into the Iconia, voila.

But why go back to OutRun2006 when you can play Need For Speed, a much better game? NFS:Most Wanted runs like a champ.

Here are a couple more games for you. Dead Space plays quite well on the C-50. As does GTA:SA.

Thread Information