What is zero gravity sensor in Gateway Tablet?

+ Reply to Thread
    Scribbler - Standard Member

Default What is zero gravity sensor in Gateway Tablet?

I notice there is 7200rpm 80GB HD option with zero gravity sensor for Gateway Tablet both C-120X and C-140X small business version. I didn't have that option when I purchase S-7125C (the small business version of C-120X) a couple months ago. Does anyone have any idea what is it?

My wild guess would be a shock sensor just like the Fujitsu's tablet and Lenovo's tablet. If that is true, I hope it can be added to our existing tablet.

Default Re: What is zero gravity sensor in Gateway Tablet?

It sounds like a sensor that detects the computer falling and returns the hard drive head to a standby position to prevent damage to the drive. I'm no expet on hdd construction though, so I'm probably calling things by the wrong name.

A simple google search:
    http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/7199969.html
    A shock protection apparatus which includes a zero-gravity sensor for detecting whether a hard disk drive is in a zero-gravity state. Upon the detection of a zero-gravity state, the zero-gravity sensor generates a zero-gravity detection signal. Subsequently, a head-slap sign detector outputs, to the hard disk drive, a signal for retracting a head if the hard disk drive is determined to be in the zero-gravity state as detected by the zero-gravity detection signal. In the shock protection apparatus, the influence of change over time of a shock-cushioning material is reduced, the difference in shock-resistant performance between operating and non-operating states is reduced, and signs of a head slap are detected promptly and properly so as to urgently retract the head.
    Gateway C-140X
    DC 2.00GHz, Win 7 Ultimate, 4GB RAM, 120GB HD, DVD Burner, ATI X2300 HD 256MB, Fingerprint Reader, Bluetooth, 802.11g, 12-Cell battery, Convertible Tablet Work in Case, Extra stylus pen, 3 Years LoJack, 3 year warranty with ADP

Thanks!

The sensor sounds useful to me because it would protect my harddrive (hence my data) when there is sudden acceleration and I imagine it could be used for auto-rotation and other stuff too if someone can write a software taking advantage of this sensor. What's your opinion? Is it useful?

Also, is it possible to add this sensor to my current S-7125C? Is this part of the hard drive or is it an additional piece of hardware? Does anyone have their Gateway tablet (either C-120X or C-140X) equipped with this sensor? I wonder how good Gateway implement this sensor versus other tablet that has this sensor.

Old timer

These sensors are included in some hard drives. I would recommend swapping out your hard drive before you try anything further.
    Eugene Leafty
    Tablet #1: Fujitsu T4210, XGA, T2450, 4GB G.Skill 4-4-4-12 memory, Hitachi 7k200, 2 modular bay batteries, Vista Biz, Office Ultimate, PDF Annotator, PDF Revu, Autodesk SketchBook Pro, Logitech Nano, infoCase Fieldmate case, Wacom Cross-1 penabled stylus, Belkin F8E550 cable lock.
    Tablet #2: Fujitsu U820.
    Tablet #3: Dell Venue 8 Pro, 32GB, active stylus, IVSO case, Xtremeguard screen protector
    Book scanner: Plustek Opticbook 3600

Thread Information