Bluetooth headset for Windows 8?

+ Reply to Thread
    Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Bluetooth headset for Windows 8?

Can anyone recommend me a good Bluetooth headset that works without issue for Windows 8 tablets. I have the MW600 Sony Ericsson Bluetooth Headset, but unfortunately for me it has had some major issues with my Windows 8 tablet (Samsung 500t), this issue is also present in my Windows 7 PC.

For some reason it transmits the audio input from my mic as output (so if I blow into the mic I can hear it in my headphones) as well as the audio from my PC/tablet which completely screws up the sound. Now I can get around it by disabling the mic in the Sounds settings on my Windows 7 PC, but this is hit and miss as it sometimes somehow doesn't actually disable the mic.

On the Win8 tablet the bluetooth installed some MW600 software and I think I got it to work okay by changing the 'Music and Audio' setting to just 'Stereo Headphones' and unticking 'Hands-free Headset with Microphone'. But this too has some issues in that I have to manually click Disconnect and Connect again for it to work properly (like it doesn't remember the setting).

So basically I am looking for a trouble free bluetooth headset (it does not need to have a microphone, which is why it is so frustrating that I cannot just easily disable the mic permanently) that you know works well with Windows 8 devices like my tablet. Anyone have any suggestions?

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Default Re: Bluetooth headset for Windows 8?

I'm having some trouble of my own with Bluetooth headsets on my Surface Pro as well (though I want to use mine the opposite way, only as a headset for VOIP calls).

That being said, you might want to try going to the desktop "Devices and Printers" menu, right clicking on your headset, and doing properties. Then, on the Services page, you should see a few options... most likely "Remote Control", "Hands-free headset" and "Audio sink". Try disabling all of them but Audio Sink (which really means A2DP).

If that doesn't work, you might also want to go into the Sound settings / playback devices, go to your headset's properties there, and make sure that "Listen to this device" is not checked.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

Ah Audio Sink is A2DP, from doing some research online I thought it was something to do with A2DP and I was wondering what Audio Sink was, so that's useful thanks.

I'll give that a go next time it fails, strangely enough it seems to be connecting to my tablet just fine for now. I am not sure what has changed (I wish I knew so last nights efforts up till 2am wouldn't have been in vain) or how long that will last. It has stopped working on my Windows 7 PC though I think I'll just forget that as I mainly bought it so I could listen to shows I was watching whilst running on a treadmill because I was sick of hitting the wire with my arms dislodging the earpieces every 5 minutes.

Thanks again, I'm still open to suggestions for BT headsets that work with Windows with no fuss.

Pen Pro - Senior Member

I have meelec AIR -FI , Af-32. working ok on ATV PRo listening to youtube. centrino bluetooth helps. had trouble on my atheros system with disconnects.. wont by atheros again. amazon have the headset around 70 dollars,. i am not audio expert so sound is good enough for me. aluratek has the same headset under their brand which sometimes is cheaper..
    Last edited by kontrol1; 02-24-2013 at 11:08 PM.

Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm thinking to buy a Bluetooth headset. But I would like to buy one that is comfortable, with good battery life and good sound quality. I found on bluetooth headphones that the best are ERA and Voyager Legend. Which one would you recommend?

Thread Information